rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamamoto Paipo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Yamamoto Paipo Reply with quote

Here's my take on Trevor Yamamoto's "shed door" paipos. Its a touch longer than my hpd-style boards, and I flared the tail out a bit to give it slightly parabolic rails. I'm hoping that this will give me more hold in the steeper sections, without sacrificing the speed of a nice flat, wide paipo! The last couple that I made with fins hold in really well, but they are nowhere near as fast as the flat, finless boards.

www.deluxepaipo.com
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it just my type Cool
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^+1, haha. Wow Kid, I'm flattered. Let me know how it rides.
What's the length of your version? I like how you narrowed the nose area down from my first shed door board. I went that route with the paipo I made over the summer in Hawai'i and really liked the way it rode. I found my first ply paipo ( the inspiration for the shed door boards) in my parent's garage on that Hawai'i trip. It was a bit narrower in the nose than the "shed door"and I used it as a template for the nose and mid -section. I kept the basic tail shape of the shed door boards. These boards will definitely hold in the steep ones once you set the rail.

my first paipo circa 1980 or '81- profile:

original paipo - you can see where the termites got to it:

original (red line)& shed door(blue line) comparison:

combined shape:

Hawai'i board:

rail & rocker on Hawai'i board - rocker formed on its own:

riding a copy of shed door #1:
flojo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Kid or Mr Og--

dimensions please as well as thickness of ply??

thanks-

flojo
kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Trevor, I didn't realise you were on here! Your first one also looks like it has slightly parabolic rails too! I made mine 47' long, with a 23' tail, and the nose (12' down) is 18' wide. Its 12mm or 1/2' marine ply. I'm sealing it with the usual urethane, and I used an oil-based stain to give it the reddish colour. I'll post a ride report, as soon as I ride it!

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,

Is it just me or can others only see part of the photos. If it's a general problem can the photos be re-sent?

regards

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first board was either 5/8" or 3/4" thick ply. I was probably just out of 8th grade when I made that one. Had no idea what a parabolic rail was at the time, but the shape was influenced by the paipos I saw the older guys riding, the twin fish boards of the day, and bodyboards. I did have the idea that the flare in the tail corner would help hold on the face. Seems to work. My boards are all about 42" - 42.25 " in length & 21.75" across the tail. The new ones are all 1/2" thick ply. The nose on the "shed door" is about 18.5"; the original probably around 17.5".

Bob,
I can see all the pics I embedded. If you can't resolve the issue, I can e-mail them to you.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Trevor,

Weird. Today I can view them just fine. Thanks for the e-mail offer.

Looks like you are still getting a few waves. Do you still ride a boogie board?

regards

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ glad you got it to work Bob. Yeah, still riding bodyboards along with paipos & bodysurfing. Messed around w/ a mat awhile back too. Not too much stand up riding lately. Hope you guys are getting some good ones down there.
kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Trevor, I rode mine today in small but clean and fast conditions, and I have to say, this design really works! I'm addicted to the speed of the superman style which I learned on the HPD style board. But I find that they are very difficult to hold a high line in a steep pocket. Your shape is still very fast, and trims well in the forward or superman position, but you can rock back into a more body-board posture, and turn it well too! I was amazed at how fast this board goes without feeling at all like the rail was going to release and slide! Thanks heaps for sharing your ideas and your boards! I love this forum for the sheer depth and quality of unique and functional surfcraft!!!!

www.deluxepaipo.com
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Good to hear Kid. Put together some POV footage playing around on one of the shed doors over the past few months. Hope to get some better video as the fall / winter season progresses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw9ugnIMwsQ&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=gT72DohlXAk
flojo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Og!
great video and loved the music---OB?

thanks-
flojo
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Og, that was great vid! I esp like the edit back and forth between you on the board taking off switch to rider POV. Crystal clear image too.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: