rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bottom Handles...aka Sissy Bars

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Bottom Handles...aka Sissy Bars Reply with quote

The goal....at least in theory....was to experiment with bottom handles that allow you to easily grip your board during elevator drops, hard bottom turns, or turblulent duck dives. All are situations where wax and traction pads are no substitute for being able to grip your board like grim death. Ideally the drag induced by the bottom handles would be offset by minimizing the wax and traction drag. Icing on the cake would be to get some hydrodynamic benefit from the bottom handles, like holding better on a steep face...at least in theory. Here's the pimped-out vintage ironing board I'm bringing to our next campout. Thanks again to Mr. Mike for the metal detecting, staple removal and planing.

Eef Approved! 100 percent recycled wood. The ironing board was one of those kind that fold down from a wall cabinet. The nose and tail blocks were made from the little sleeve ironing board. The sissy bars (bottom handles) were made from 1x2 scraps of doug fir that I liberated from the trash. All blocks and handles were shaped after they were glued on the board. I don't have a deck photo of the nose block/handle...it's surface mounted. The ironing board was old fir with lots of shrinkage splits. So the nose and tail blocks were needed for structural reasons, too. This 2nd photo is distorted by the camera, so the bottom handles look closer to the tail, but they are actually almost in the middle of the board, just slightly closer to the tail than the nose. The handles are about 21" long.

I like the simplicity of the single piece tail block...very old timey, like Dapper Dan Pomade.

OK Kid, you know you have to try it. There is another style of bottom handle I've got on the work list that you might also consider. They are shaped before they are glued on. Taperered oblongs with horizontal laminations. Lots to experiment with on this path.
kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....must....resist...urge to....make one....of these...aaaarrrgh!!

Nice work! That wood is beautiful. I've developed an obsession to build and ride every kind of prone surf-craft I see! This will be no different!

www.deluxepaipo.com
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Reminds me a bit of the runners Greenough put on bottom of some of his tri-plane hulls to enable holding a higher line without slipping off the face of the wave. I do not know if he kept that up, only that he did try it some. I think his runner were more centered and slightly forward of wide point as the fin would hold the tail in and these were more to hold nose end from slipping
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool larry the old ironing board never looked so good
larry what camp sites are you in ? I will be up on sat the 16 at about 8am or so Cool
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: dv Reply with quote

larry, how much do you charge for short sleeve shirts? do you do pants as well?
hewey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks gorgeous Cool
flojo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well--how does it ride?? Looks cool- do the handles work?

flojo
flojo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well--how does it ride?? Looks cool- do the handles work?

flojo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: