rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bryan Hayden Winki Pop Bellyboard

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Bryan Hayden Winki Pop Bellyboard Reply with quote

After reading the interview with Winki and Bells pioneer Bryan Hayden, I decided to tackle building and riding a board like his. Here it is with the fins just glued in. This afternoon I'll foil them, and then it'll be time to put the handles on. I'm going to put two handles on this one since I won't be riding it exclusively on right hand point breaks. More pics coming soon!

www.deluxepaipo.com
kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fins foiled, and 1 coat of varnish down!

www.deluxepaipo.com
kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is! My version of one of the first surfcraft to charge big Bells and Winki. I can't wait to try it out. Watch this space for a ride report soon! I think it kinda looks like a big thong! (thats a flip flop, for our my American readers, or Jandal, for the Kiwi's)

www.deluxepaipo.com
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid, have you ever tried foiling the fins first? To me, much easier to leave a big fat tab below base to stick in a vise and foil fin, leaving tab square. Then just slice the tap off w/ jig saw to whatever depth you want to inset into the board. Much less chance of accidental sander pad encountering board bottom!
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ,

Good on ya. Look forward to hearing how it goes. Read Col Taylor's interview for some technique tips. A lot of these guys were good bodysurfers and used bodysurfing technique to manoeuver. It's pretty interesting how they used their arms for leverage and purchase.

The Kit Carson interview has lots of photos - it will be available when Rod is back and when I hear from Kit.

regards

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoffrey, I've only ever made 3 boards with fins, and yes, foiling them in a vice makes sense. I don't have a vice, and I always leave the fins big and thick initially, so that I can fine-tune them after riding the board a couple of times.

Bob, Thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to the Kit Carson interview!

Cheers,
BJ.

www.deluxepaipo.com
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vice? We don't need no stickeen vice! I hear ya. Just w/ my sloppy technique I would cringe working that close to bottom of board with edge of sander. I guess there is always wood putty or sawdust mixed w/ epoxy
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another method is to put sheet metal on the bottom of the board on either side of the fin (or noseblock) and held in place with duct tape.

The conduit clamps for the rope handles are a tad gnarly...

A marine supply store would probably have something smaller and smoother. I think the boat guys call them line guides or something like that. I've even seen them in hard plastic.

Another option is sandal style construction. On a sandal the straps are trapped betreen the laminated layers. You could do something similar by making your handle into a small loop, and then trapping it on the deck by gluing a small block of wood to the deck. The handle blocks could even be made foiled, or stylish with contrasting layers of wood.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: