rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Ply Bellyboards!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After riding the paipo I posted about above, I have found that it rides a small, hollow wave really well. But in bigger or fatter waves the narrow width definitely seems slower. I have a feeling that the spoon nose displaces more than it planes, until the board is at speed. So for my latest experiment I've made a board thats 4ft by 24' wide, with an 18' nose. This time I've just flipped the nose up about 1 and a 1/2' rather than spooning it. I'm expecting that this will give a bit of lift and prevent pearling but with far less drag than the spoon nose. I'll post a ride report as soon as the oil dries!

www.deluxepaipo.com
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: cv Reply with quote

kid, thats a cool looking board, as are all your boards. a neat experiment would be to try a board 1/2" thick with zero rocker, flip or kick and see how it works. you might discover what i did. it will act more like a spoon than the ones you make look like a spoon, they will flex and you'll be able to create the amount of kick or rocker you desire and act/work like a spoon, in that it will conform to a wave more easily than having the rigidness from having rails that are so thick. i bevel the undersides of mine quite a bit and slightly on the deck, creating a "fin like " effect when the board goes up on rail. very fast flat bottom no concaves and very maneuverable! and a lot simpler to make!

just a thought. but the cool factor of the stuff you've been making might get lost, just a little Wink

http://soulgliderpaipo.blogspot.com
coming soon!
kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Soulglider, funny you should say that! This paipo is 1/2' ply which I made using three sheets which I glued up to get the nose flip. It is almost dead flat, and you're totally right about the flex. I just rode it for the first time in some decent sized waves and it rides brilliantly. I might have been over-thinking the whole thing with the fancy spoon noses. This new one has just enough flip to prevent pearling, but other than that it acts like a completely flat board. You can reverse the rocker on the take-off, and when you crank it into a turn you can really feel it flexing along its length. This might be the best paipo I've made so far! Oh yeah, keep up the good work on the blog! Fight the power!

www.deluxepaipo.com
kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This me on the Deluxe Ye Olde Bellyboarde. Too much fun!!!! This was also in deepish water with no fins/flippers. I'm almost ready to say I've mastered the fin-free open water take-off! The key seems to be in the flex of the board.

www.deluxepaipo.com
Soulglider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: vds Reply with quote

nice pics. wish i had a photo slave...doesnt it have the spoon type flex i was talking about? soooooooo simple, sooooooo fun! i love the crowd-thats what i aim for....soulice rules!

soulglider
www.soulgliderpaipo.blogspot.com
coming soon!
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t
Quote:
Fight the power!

Flow with the power, fight the power mad!!!!
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice pics Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ,

I've been meaning to ask about your comment: " This was also in deepish water with no fins/flippers. I'm almost ready to say I've mastered the fin-free open water take-off! The key seems to be in the flex of the board".

Ok - what's involved?

regards

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob, I've found that I can swim into the wave, as if I was bodysurfing, with one hand flat on the deck of the board in the centre of the pic below. As the waves starts to lift me, I pull myself up onto the board, and flex the nose down. This particular board has a lot of flex, and this seems to pull me down the face and into the pocket of the wave.

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ,

Now this is very interesting. Some questions:

1. what does flexing the nose down do?

2. Have you tried this technique on a more rigid board?

3. How does the speed compare to that you obtain at take-off with swim fins (I'm after a really rough estimate)?

4. Do you have to catch the wave from a different position - closer in/further out; closer to the curl/on the shoulder more?

5. The issue is both catching waves as well as getting out to catch them in the first place. How do you go getting out? Would you be able to paddle out at Bells bowl and catch waves for an hour or two? I specificlaly asked about Bells because I can think of ways to reduce the effort at Winki or smaller Rincon.

5. What are the board dimensions?

I haven't heard from Handfinished yet. It would be interesting if the guy he saw employs a similar technique.

regards

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

1. Flexing the nose down reverses the rocker and pulls you and the board down the face.
2. It doesn't work on rigid boards at all.
3. Take off speed is slow, and so...
4. you need to sit a bit deeper, closer to the pocket.
5. Getting out is tedious, I would only do this at a beach where the waves are breaking close to the beach. There's no way I want to go finless at somewhere like Bells. Small Rincon, maybe.
6. The board is 4ft by 13inches by 8mm thick. Its super-flexy!

www.deluxepaipo.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: