rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

two plywood alaias and a hawaian paipo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlefoot wrote:
I've just had to look up kioe and kipapa... Yes the small one would not be suitable for standing on. I just call it alaia because of the shape. Didn't give it much thought, though.

As you will discover, if you haven't already, is that there is much confusion in the world of waveriding in naming different kinds of wave riding vehicles, especially over the past few centuries. Who would think in this day an age that surf swimming is stand-up surfboard riding? Makes reading the old texts, 18th through early 20th century, more challenging.

For the purposes of the current discussion consider the figure presented in one of the oldest scholarly texts on the sport of waveriding, by Ben R. Finney text, Surfing in Ancient Hawaii. Wellington, N.Z.:
Journal of the Polynesian Society. Vol 68 No.4, Dec. 1959. pp. 327-347.

This text does use or reference the terms,
    kioe, a small surf board; and,
    kipapa, the prone riding position.

And you can see the term, bodyboard, used in the figure. But the publication nowhere mentions the term paipo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: cz Reply with quote

as a kneeboarder of 45 yrs, i can tell you that volume is not necessarily what you kneed is more planing area. for instance, if you cant get to your knees try more area. it works in so cal, hawaii, baltic sea, everywhere. if theres enough water rushing up the face of a wave at the same time as a wave pushing toward shore you can ride anything, ie hawaiian kids on paipos!
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misspoke, 'glider's right. More planing area.
littlefoot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, speed is the word. I can imagine if there is enough speed you can get up on the smallest surfcraft (if you're nimble enough and perhaps excluding handplanes). That's why I've started the 5'3", which I hope would provide enough planing surface. I'll find that out maybe even this week. There's a surfing competition (the Pantin Classic WQS) starting on Thursday 26th so I suppose the lineups will be less crowded in my area.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: