rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dims for wood paipo/alaia for small/weak waves?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easternbull

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: dims for wood paipo/alaia for small/weak waves? Reply with quote

Hi,

New here, been surfing for about 10 years, started surfing prone 4 years ago after shoulder surgery. Up and paddlig again but still love to take my surfmat out.

Saw a clip of mike stewart flying in tiny waves ona wegener alaia, and thought I have to try and make one. Don't get me wrong my mats work fine but the wave needs some push for my mat, doesent have to be clean(even storm surf is a blast) but i think my 6'2 200+6/4 winter armor would need to order a UDT model to milk realy tiny waves.

Back to wood paipos, for surfing them prone how long and how thick can I go? Regarding the outline I've been thinking of making a basic wide simmons type square tail with parralell rails minimum amount of roll in the bottom for maximum down the line speed.

Another option would be a copy of the huge wide tailed hawaiian paipo featured at the end of this hydrodynamica trailer: http://hydrodynamica.com/

when matsurfing I'm mostly kicking into waves with my udt's, even though I weigh 200lbs I'm in good shape.

So dims built for speed for a gorilla in smalwaves,

Cheers

Smile
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Easternbull,

What sorts of waves are you surfing? Your profile said Northern Europe.

This will make a difference in the type of board that will go best.

regards

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with a 5 footer and about 16" to 18" wide at the nose and about 14" at the tail and sq tail and use some cheap wood to start like pine , ply or redwood so if it does not work for you you can try again and not be out lots of cash. Cool

easternbull

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the quick feedback! I've been itching too get this project started. Thinking of getting hold of an old wood table from our local recycling plant and stripping it down at my schools woodshop(I work as a teacher).

Actually I live in Finalnd but also surf on a regular basis in Sweden and Norway, but the board would mostly be used at my spots here in Finland. which means low saltwater content, ice and small short period swells, similiar to the Great lakes perhaps. I will try and post some photos to give you and idea.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/easternbull/16.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/easternbull/21-1.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/easternbull/21.jpg
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! When I read your posts I was thinking your pics would be of little, crumbly mush waves. Those waves actually look pretty good/fun. If that's what you're usually surfing, I think the Hawai'i style paipo shape would work for you. I don't think you need to go as big as the board on the Hydrodynamica vid though. Maybe 45-48" long; 1/2" -3/4" thick.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I was cold with a full suit in 62 deg water burrrrrrr but the waves look nice Cool
easternbull

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shots where taken on "good" days, after 10 years of searhing I finally have a few spots to chose from an almost any wind direction, so I dont have to surf onshore conditions and most of the time I'm surfing solo.

Apart from these spots there is one beachbrake that picks up a decent amount of swell and on its day can have 4ft waves, but for the most part it's small cleanish longboard waves round here. Have mostly been surfing longboards at home until I got a 6'4 whitepony(minisimmions/swallowtail) from larry mabile, magic in small waves!

Why is the tail more pullled in then the nose mrmike? For controll I guess, always thought of going with a widetailed paralell outline. days when I would use the paipo it would just be for "point and shoot" surfing, not much turning.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easterbull,

That last photo with the snow made my recent trip to Victoria (Australia) look like the tropics.

I'd personally start basic - parallel rails and go a bit thicker for flotation - pick the most buoyant wood you can get. If you don't like the performance thin/alter the rail line accordingly. This is only practical if you have an oil finish.

I think Mike has previously recommended a wide nose for mushier waves.

The low salt content may make for a bit different surfing experience. If the power isn't there the board may just bog. We don't want you freezing to death out there .

regards

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tail and the rails are your fins unlike surfboards that gets its drive from its fin (also cause drag) a paipo gets its drive from its rails and tail its act like a set of fins with no drag that why they are not as snappy as your board. but they are a lot faster on a wave face Cool

easternbull

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold is not so bad, good wetsuits these days, waves seem to have more punch as the water temp sinks, but sadly the gulf of bothnia freezes in jan, so I'm snowboarding until may part fro m a few weeks in Norway and Portugal during winter.

Thank you for the recommendations I trust your judgement, but I justcant get my head around paddling/kicking catching waves on someting as narrow as 16-18 in our small weak waves but I guess i have to look at it more as jetpropelled body surfing, and not compare dims to surfboards.

My gut feeling is to go with a ho'okano style paipo. a soaked hooded 6/4 , boots and gloves weigh a ton..

kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's that handsome devil?! Ha ha! I rode that one again yesterday in small clean peelers, and I have to say, it might be my new favourite paipo! It's super fast, and can hold a high trim line! Is also seems to catch waves really easily, despite having almost no float at all! I'm yet to try it in bigger waves, but after riding it a few times, I'm pretty confident that it'll do just fine!

By the way,here's the dims I went for on this one. It's 47' long, 31' tail and 21' nose. It's 12mm thick marine ply sealed with urethane

www.deluxepaipo.com
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My gut feeling is to go with a ho'okano style paipo.

I think you may be disappointed.
In my experience the larger guitar pick style paipos require fairly powerful waves to perform well..
The long skinny alaia types really do work great in "small weak waves".

Check out Tom Wegener's description of his "Peaches" model.
http://www.tomwegenersurfboards.com/html/alaia.html
easternbull

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey grumpy I think I remember you from the surfmatz forum? Thanx for the tip, so when the waves are weak and small surfmat or paipo? I just ca't get my mat going in small weak "hightide"waves even if they are super clean. Low rockered modern simmons style logg me thinks..

http://masonsurfboards.com/index.php?/project-2/baby-simmons/

Back to paipos heres a clip of mickey munoz talking paipos.

http://hydrodynamica.blogspot.com/2010/08/planing-totem.html
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our actual definitions of small weak waves may be different but I find the mat and the long skinny alaias the best prone option for that type surf.

My Simmons works best when the waves have juice and not what I'd suggest for a real small wave board.

I have been having really good success on small waves with this board.

You might try riding the mat with a lower inflation level and big fins help.

Too funny. In that interview Mickey is sitting in Terry Martin's living room. I was sitting in that same chair about two weeks ago. Laughing
easternbull

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous boards!

Usually I surf stand up 1,5-2h then have a quick brake and switch to my mat for another 1,5h when my arms are too tired too paddle.

What are the dims of that beautifull paipo/alaia? Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: