rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Ply Bellyboards!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: More Ply Bellyboards! Reply with quote

I've started making these out of two sheets of 4mm ply so that I can put the nose lift and concave into them when I glue them up. The concave keeps the back 3rd of the board stiff so I can make the board a bit thinner, which lets the nose flex more to aid in wave catching and turning. The wider one has obvious parabolic rails, but the middle board, despite looking more like a traditional bellyboard, also has subtle parabolic rails. A bit hi-tech for bellyboards, I know, but I just love riding and building these things!

www.deluxepaipo.com
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good Smile
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super boards! What grade ply do you use (marine, WBP?), what adhesive do you employ?
kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the grade, but it's $8 a sheet, and I use polyurethane glue.

www.deluxepaipo.com
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just built a similar board from WBP (water and boil proof) ply with epoxy as the adhesive. I've used the epoxy to join the two pieces of 4mm and to seal all the edges of the ply wood as WBP is not salt water proof unless treated. Have you had any delamination problems to date?
kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a delam, even with the really thin flexy boards. The last couple I made I used two layers of 3mm to see how the flex would affect the ride. They work great in small waves!

www.deluxepaipo.com
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nerer had a problem with delam with any ply as long as you seal it good Cool

Jon Davey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sort of reassurance I like. I've built the rest of my boards out of marine ply because it's very trustworthy but have gone for a lesser grade this time because of cash flow problems (i.e I'm broke!) I've sealed her well and am going to finish her in yacht paint so all should be well.
puurri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking boring.
kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Puurri, it's boring, keep moving....nothing to see here!

www.deluxepaipo.com
puurri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reaction is that there has been little documented progress in the genre and many are dredging up things that have little/poor performance. The ply ones I saw many of in the early 60's yet the nostalgia buffs continue to think them as the duck's guts.

FFS read Barry Hutchin's interview for some direction as to how it might be

I was there at the forefront, not dicking around in some new century retrowank.

Get real eh?
kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puurri wrote:
My reaction is that there has been little documented progress in the genre and many are dredging up things that have little/poor performance. The ply ones I saw many of in the early 60's yet the nostalgia buffs continue to think them as the duck's guts.

FFS read Barry Hutchin's interview for some direction as to how it might be

I was there at the forefront, not dicking around in some new century retrowank.

Get real eh?

Ha Ha!!!!!! Thats got to be a parody yeah???? If it is, then its hilarious!

OooooH!!! There at the forefront!!!! Ya big pioneer you!

If that's a serious comment then I think you might have the wrong forum! Go back to Swaylocks!

Surfing, and especially bellyboarding, just isn't that serious. I grew up in a country where NOT getting shot meant you were having a good day! That's slightly serious! Get over yourself mate!

"Get real".....about plywood..Ha Ha..that's excellent!!!!

www.deluxepaipo.com
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: vsd Reply with quote

well, that didnt take tooooo long. whats with the hyper competitive ozzie psyche, maaaaaaaaaan? you fellers are both on the wrong site if thats whats going on. kid, dont bother with it, everyone knows puuuuricks are for dwids! settle down the both of you squids! NOW! Twisted Evil
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I made my first belly board 50 years ago ,( and I call them belly boards because I did not know what a paipo was) they were made of plywood because that was all we had. my dad got us a sheet of 1/2 " ply and let us have at it. now I have made them out of ever type of wood ,foam, epoxy and so on. but the most fun I ever had is on a old ply belly board. they may not be the fastest or turn the best but all it is about is fun. because if yous aint having fun you need to go home and watch tv on the couch! Smile

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one outstanding characteristic of the MyPaipoBoards Forums over the years. Mutual respect and acceptance. Many of us build and/or ride different types of prone vehicles -- there is no competition between woodies, foamies, plasticized, shorties, longies, etc.

We do welcome positive, constructive criticism or critiques of different board forms. It is also important to implicitly recognize that each and every board design is an optimized solution and a set of design compromises.

I for one continue to marvel at the ability of so many different types of boards being successfully ridden in so many different surf conditions. Nonetheless, it will be hard to tear me away from my modernized 1960s fiberglass/foam paipo/bellyboard. For the sake of some fun I am thinking about having a bonzer-style paipo built made of EPS/epoxy. Am trying to get smart on the design features to incorporate and have a little dialog going on with the owner of a bonzer paipo in central California.

Lastly, as my grandma used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: