rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wood finish

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: wood finish Reply with quote

Search engine on site seems to be crapped out lately so figured I'd ask. I discovered that I have almost a quart of old RR epoxy that is still good (just did a test batch) but needs to get used up. Also, since had not remembered that, I just bought a quart of Helmsman Spar Urethane Varnish.

Just started cedar alaia/paipo and wondering if anyone has a "why" they would choose one or the other for the finish/sealer???

Thanks folks!

G
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varnish is a lot lighter and easy. save the epoxy for repair and sealing knots on the cedar Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Only issue is the epoxy is several years old already and likely approaching shelf life. Also, since cedar is so light, weight really is not such an issue...

Just did the initial glue up. Getting ready to get "dirty" tomorrow... Wife coming back from visiting her mom though so that will slow me down considerably
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffrey,

Rod is in the process of formatting an interview with Col Taylor. Col made the point that a resin finish added some stiffness to the ply boards he was riding. Now these were thin boards 3/16th ply and they were ridden with a particular style (utilising a handle at the nose). With a varnish finish they couldn't get the whole rail up because of the board flex so preferred a stiffer board.

The original style Paipo Nui were replicated in Australia by Jamie Farfor who coincidentally was on TV last night for another purpose. He added cloth (floral prints) to the glass job, again for stiffness.

If your board is really thin or too flexy, then epoxy may have some value.

regards

Bob
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points! This is to be alaia based so flex is good and cedar I'm sure less flexy than Paulownia which seems to be the standard of excellence so that is strong vote in favor of the varnish...
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hmmmmm. I had 1X8 actual dimensions in my head as being 3/4 X 7 1/2 But NOOOOO! It is in theory 3/4 X 7 1/4. Turns out the boards I just finished gluing were actually 3/4 X 5 3/16 so my planned 15 inch wide blank is only 14 3/8 wide. Oh, well, reckon I'll just run with it. I am a narrower than typical human anyway. We will call it fate rather than carelessness... HAH!
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well hmmmmm. I had 1X8 actual dimensions in my head as being 3/4 X 7 1/2 But NOOOOO! It is in theory 3/4 X 7 1/4. Turns out the boards I just finished gluing were actually 3/4 X 5 3/16 so my planned 15 inch wide blank is only 14 3/8 wide.

Hhahahahahahahahahahaha! Dontcha just love the Insanity of Man? DIY places especially are very entertaining. They also have different lumber grading systems than real lumber yards. I never go looking for wood without a tape measure.
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get 1 or 2" more than I will need and some times it is still not enought Laughing
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapping on the varnish at the moment. I'm calling this one "proof of concept"...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: