rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ride Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, loosing planning area an issue. My understanding of the parabolics is that they hold in better, a little less drifty on turns, a bit more carvable. Could always start from a wider board and then cut the parabola to end up w/ similar planning area...

I will email J and T and see if I get a response I will post it here.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also emailed Mike Stewart, just fishing for info from those who might have done a lot of R&D. I won't say who said what just to protect the innocent etc but this answer just came in:

Quote:
Alaias are great prone boards at any size or shape. My 7'6'' anchovy is the funnest prone board ever. The waves must be small though. Bigger waves I recommend a shorter board 3'6'' to 4'. The shorter ones are Finley style, but a parobolic would be fine.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest at all in a 7'6" prone board.
Waste of wood IMO. Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think a 7'6" would be a specialty board for 2 feet and under at a long long point break. IMO a desperation thing. I'd rather ride a mat or just go snorkeling or something. Heck, read a book...
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I bought an alaia, I met Tom Wegener (who we have an interview coming up with) and tried a heap of his boards, including an 8' board. The surf was bigger than 2' and a beachbreak.

My basic feeling is that it would take a lot of skill to ride a longer board in such waves. I might do a better job now, but the problem was the area you have to move on - I was paddling the board, which arm paddled fine, but when I took the drop I was in the wrong position to turn the board from the paddling location. On a clean long lined wave you could probably take a high line and just fly, on peaky sectioning waves I think you'd take your life into your own hands.

In terms of fitting into a waves curves, watch the footage of Tom learning to ride the long olo, I believe it would be a parallel experience. There are guys who ride fibreglass longer boards, but these boards in part rely on getting into waves earlier. They go looking for long lined point type waves.

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for a Trombone Bellyboard. I was hoping Surfoils or Mr. Mike would have perfected one by now.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
I'm still waiting for a Trombone Bellyboard. I was hoping Surfoils or Mr. Mike would have perfected one by now.

One you could adjust "on the fly" while riding a wave.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: