rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western cedar?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Western cedar? Reply with quote

Have any of you made a board completely out of western cedar? I can get 1x8x12 for cheap enough (21.00 at Lowe's).

I was thinking of doing either a paipo or an alaia. Might end up as a wall queen, who knows.
handfinished

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built and Alaia out of WRC and finished it with oil. It was nice and light, easy to work but found it really soft and after a few weeks it started to look very 'vintage'. Maybe a coat of glass or varnish would keep it fresh, but that might not be the look your going for.
rickm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handfinished wrote:
I built and Alaia out of WRC and finished it with oil. It was nice and light, easy to work but found it really soft and after a few weeks it started to look very 'vintage'. Maybe a coat of glass or varnish would keep it fresh, but that might not be the look your going for.

I think the finish has to be different. I know someone who put a cedar deck out and messed the finish up...it looked bad.

How did it ride? Still have it? I was thinking 7'x16"x1"
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made lots of boards out of tennesee red cedar lots of knots but look sooooo good when finished Cool

handfinished

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the finish has to be different. I know someone who put a cedar deck out and messed the finish up...it looked bad.

How did it ride? Still have it? I was thinking 7'x16"x1"[/quote]

I still have it and the ride is great, really smooth and quite nible, its 6'6x19x3/4. The board is a little light for me as I prefer my boards to be on the heavier side, but it works well.
I'm no expert on finish for this as I only use oils and waxes. I used Tung Oil on this one.
Perhaps someone like Mr Mike can advise on this?
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use about 6 coats of minwax helmman spar varnish. It will last for years Cool
RNT808

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike,

Is That The Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane?
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that it. works good Cool
rickm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went looking for cedar tonight. Hit Lowe's, didn't see it. Asked the guy, he pointed it out. My daughter, ever so tactful, said "I don't think you wait a paipo with holes in it". I looked at 15 12' planks most had 2 or 3 knots popped out. I'll check Home Despot out in the morning.

Plan b, I know a guy here who is a furniture maker (nice stuff), I'll see if he can get me some paulownia or cedar and do the initial planing. if he'll do it then maybe i can get him to put a mahogany tail block in, that would look cool.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my cedar on ebay also lots of other cool wood. most of the wood that I get are tree that are going to a landfill. this guy on ebay takes these tree and cuts them up and sell then cheep the shipping might be sortof high. but enought wood to make 2 boards would cost you about $50 that would be with shipping. just go to ebay and type in lumber, not wood because you would get every thing made out of wood. you could also use the type of wood you are looking for like cedar lumber. now that I have told you my secret go build some boards Cool
rickm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
now that I have told you my secret go build some boards Cool

I found a paulownia plank for 50.00. I'm going to get it. Squared it will be 8x1x14. The guy will plane it down for me a tad to smooth it out. Or I could surf it as is.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: