rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Design Question for "Phyllis Surfs Waimea on a Bodyboar

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Design Question for "Phyllis Surfs Waimea on a Bodyboar Reply with quote

Bob Green posted the following link on the Your Wave forum.

Quote:
Larry Goddard sent me this - it's a bodyboard but the style is much more reminiscent of paipo. radical stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj3Y39gu1HY&NR=1

So, my comment is "that is some fun looking footage (looking is the operative word here in contrast to actual riding). Now I ask the question in the Design & Building forum, "What design changes would you make to the board Phyllis is riding to provide less bounce and more control?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kid

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On bigger waves i tend to ride longer, narrower boards like the one on the left in this pic. It's 5'6 long and only 15 inches wide. It also has a rolled bottom with a deep concave running the full length of the board. I've found that this design is very good for controlling bouncing, without sacrificing speed. The long deep parabolic rail holds into the steepest of faces and this allows me to hold a high trim line, rather than just bombing down the face and into a bottom turn. It is also turns very well (see bottom pic!).

www.deluxepaipo.com
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think kid is right about 5' long and 14" to 16" wide nose and a narrow rounded tail for a little more turnabilty
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few modified boogers...very few....where I made shallow keel fins out of plastic ceiling fan blades (called gazebo blades up here). Just slice the booger with a drywall knife, squeeze in some poly adhesive with a caulking gun, then insert the fin, and wipe off the excess with a gloved finger. Plenty of room for more experimentation....maybe shallow strakes near the nose??

I can't seem to find any relevant photos on my computer...I'll keep looking.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly certain Flyin' Phyillis was riding an original and their extreme flexibility was just as advertised...

A certain amount of flex is desireable but with those old boogers it was just too much........

So a little longer and a little stiffer Wink
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read somewhere that Phyllis' boards are custom made.

A bit more weight & less buoyancy for less bounce, but these are tradeoffs. Bounce is also a function of speed -bounce is more pronounced when going as fast.

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She may have custom boards made now but I'm almost positive she was on an original Morey when that video was made.
I've heard she's still around riding prone so let's find somebody island side and get another interview... Cool
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally took the time to watch the clip. The voiceovers sounded like Greg Weaver and Spyder Wills...I have a dvd they did of their 70's/80's exotic home movies so I'm pretty sure about that but I don't remember this section. Weaver has another dvd out that I haven't seen. The color of the deck on Damron's board makes it look like one of the early production boards, either under Tom Morey and Company or Kransco, late 1970's. The visible board flex also makes that seem reasonable. Probably no stringers.

I guess to Rod's question I would say more stiffness would probably help her on those waves...or completely in the other direction riding it like a modern surfmat and let the flex flow, so to speak. In this clip she was very much riding it like old wood paipo style, sliding down to the inside corner of the board in an earlier shot.

Unstiffened bodyboard cores...perhaps a fairly unexplored area still. Resurgance of surfmat riding might open things up in that direction.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: