rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White triplane

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: White triplane Reply with quote

Below is a link to one of my triplanes from about 1984. It`s semi-soft and flexible, internal skeleton, as typical with most of my bodyboards. White Naugahyde bottom/chines and a sanded (no wax needed) Volara deck.

What primarily makes this one different from my other tri`s are the square (90 degree) chines w/frontal side, dead straight template, and deeply rolled entry. The short, black, frontal chine runners were only for spray deflection. This board had great low end, planing early and tracking unbelievably fast. But most directional changes had to be initiated from the rear, rather than the front. Sort of a one-dimensional dragster. It was a great ride in near-closeout, long, fast and smooth 2' to 8' walls. Flat or hollow. Excellent projection... coming from 15'-20' behind whitewater sections, accelerating back up into the pocket. Obviously it was weakest at quick, short arc maneuverability.

On most of my triplanes a corded leash anchor can seen be toward the front- center, w/another one toward the lower left. These were for diagonally slinging my leash, wearing the triplane on my back like a quiver of arrows... for hands-free ascending/decending of cliffs.

http://digitalstar.com/dalesolomonson/OriginalImages/290119ORIG.JPG
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Naugahyde Reply with quote

I like the naugahyde bottom. Is there an interesting story in how you first came to use naugahyde on a bodyboard?
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

It was in the 1970`s, I was searching for a durable, supple, air-tight material that could be permanently bonded, to build surf mats. I ended up in a friend`s upholstery shop, which was literally over-flowing with all kinds of interesting left-overs. Naugahyde was just one of several materials that I experimented with, including DuPont Hypalon.

My first surf mats were fabricated by trial and error, labor-intensive and relatively expensive... BUT they were usually much better than the rubber and canvas mats I`d been buying from Rip Curl. Plus, I was using my own designs, learning what worked... and what didn`t!

Even though for my surf mats I`d been using the inner cloth side of the Naugahyde as the outer surface, it was only logical to reverse that arrangement for my triplanes, which needed smooth, durable, flexible, bondable bottom/chine surfaces.

Long story short, my early vinyl surf mats were eventually seen by a respected custom boat builder, who soon began incorporating what I shared with him into a favorite hobby... bagpipes!
Birdie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOOOoooooo, I want one!!
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:

Long story short, my early vinyl surf mats were eventually seen by a respected custom boat builder, who soon began incorporating what I shared with him into a favorite hobby... bagpipes!

Naugahyde bagpipes? Now, that's an interesting concept.

And my little bitty lathe might just handle the drones, though I dunno about the chanter....... and what the hell, the neighbors hated me already....... http://www.hotpipes.com/MVID001.mp3 if you dare
surffoils

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Doc, I went to a school in Sydney where we had a 200 strong Pipes and drums band, with a brace of drum majors out front. We were certainly the biggest in Australia. The year before I joined they went to the Edinburgh Tattoo.
Being a boys school there was a lot of improvisations and steampunk variations to the chanters to find different sounds. Some of the pipe bags were synthetic material but I forget what types were used.

I cut quite a fetching look in a kilt.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the bagpipe surfmat....

Old thread here with a dead photo link, but new readers can see Dale's triplane in the resource section at Swaylocks:

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=523

and also:

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=228
surffoils

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Poobah, all the digitalstar links didnt work for me.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: