rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wood paipo #2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: wood paipo #2 Reply with quote

I recycled a pine wood table that would have been trashed otherwise.
The dimensions of the paipo are 43.7" X 21" X 1.18".
The shape is inspired by alaias and by the mini Simons that we can see all around on the underground shapers blogs. this shape is simple and pure with some belly in front and a slight concave at the back.
The board is quite heavy : 6 kgs !
I shaped it almost entirely with a hand plane and a surform and it was difficult to remove as much material on the wood knots.

MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just built a rocket! The last board I built weighed about the same. You probably know this already but, usually the heavier the board the smoother it rides. I think that thing is going to be a lot of fun to ride. You might need invest in a helmet though! Very Happy
Thierry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MeatyBarrels.

I think i will remove some wood in the middle to make it lighter but leave the rails as they are, as suggested by oSky on my blog (don't know if he is a member of this forum). But to do this and be able to cut through those hard knots I have to find a power plane.

I'll be happy if I can reduce the weight to 4 - 5 kgs.

I have a helmet but only used it for some very windy and wavey windsurfing sessions. Never thought I could need it for paipo sessions ! Laughing
eef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thierry!

That board looks very good! I love how smooth the rails look. The board look really fast!! nice nice nice!

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
Thierry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend lent me a power planer and I could remove some thickness on the top, more on the centre line than on the rails (the deck is concave). The board is now 1" at it's thickest point. It is lighter - 4.8 kg - and hopefully flexier.

I put some layers of urethane (water based) floor varnish, then drew on paper and reproduced with a POSCA marker a polynesian tatoo style shark.

Thierry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When on holidays, I tried the paipo in Britany in 1,50 m and 1m clean waves. The board takes off very easily but it can be useful to paddle with one arm and with the fins at the same time to help the board get on the water surface. It turns well but not very nervously. The speed is very good with a such smooooth ride. It doesn't feel heavy at all once in the water. It has very little rocker so I feared to dive into hollow waves but il didn't happen. And of course it duckdives like in a dream.
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy I think is good. goes under waves realy good also when it get going it keeps going. I have made them out of red oak and black walnut these boards are heavy and work realy good. your boards look realy nice MRMIKE Cool
Thierry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
heavy I think is good. goes under waves realy good also when it get going it keeps going. I have made them out of red oak and black walnut these boards are heavy and work realy good. your boards look realy nice MRMIKE Cool

Yes you're right, I could feel this board has momentum and that it's weight makes it ride very comfortably. I wonder how it would be with two fins.
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only use for fins is on your feet. on a paipo board fins just add drag on the bottom . well shaped rails will take the place of fins. mrmike Cool
Thierry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the board was too wide for me so I cut the rails. I kept the same width on the tail (15.74"), put the wide point, now 18.7", backward and at mid length, gave more rocker to the nose and made the rails thinner, lower and sharper near the tail.
Can't wait to try it ! Hopefully next week Smile

Couldn't do that with a foam board Wink

mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the thinner board Smile
Thierry

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board now has a correct width for my size and weight and I think it should be fantastic on a hollow beach break ... not like the small powerless waves I had this week.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: