rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wave Skater Boards

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Wave Skater Boards Reply with quote

Hi
Has any one tried out the Wave skater board ? I came across it when looking on ebodyboarding. It looks like a plastic version of John Galera no fin boards , has any one ridden one ?
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW,

Do a search of the archives using the term "wave skater" and select the 'search all terms' option. If you get 208 hits you haven't selected this option. Should be about 6 hits.

Then there is the Wave arrow also from Hawaii.

regards

Bob
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Did the search ,seems like everyone who bought one had a lot of fun riding there waveskater my bodyboard is starting to de laminate so looking for a replacement I ride woodboards when in Uk but reluctant to put them on a plane after a bad expedience, I,m at the age where I won,t be busting big airs so it,s about speed and fun and the wave skater seems to tick the boxes
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW,

If you are looking at something like a bodyboard replacement check out what Surffoils is up to: http://surffoils.blogspot.com/

Bob
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking board , we have a custom bodyboard maker in the uk the sells the materials to make your own board you can buy the foam Dow or the stiffer poly pro in 4ft x2ft x3.5" surlyn slicks ect and was thinking of making something similar to the waveskater but need to speak to the builder to see if was practical
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not ridden one but I have seen them up close.
They are molded in one piece out of foam similar if not identical to the stuff modern lobster buoy's are made from.
I seem to recall someone mentioning the construction allowed the ability to reshape them as desired
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I seem to recall someone mentioning the construction allowed the ability to reshape them as desired

I know I asked that question, but I think the ultimate answer on re-shaping was a "no". Maybe Geoffrey has the details on that? I had a massive archive loss and don't have the emails any more.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I do not know, only that a famous former pro I wont' name, told me that they were very low performance, did not really turn well and did not deliver enough extra speed to make for that (if any at all). He advised a conventional bb instead... and he sells the WaveSkater on his site!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote myself from a 2007 post regarding sanding the PVC foam:

No, it doesn't sand/shape as I had hoped. I drilled a hole for the leash plug in a spot on the nose that was too thick for the plug. I made it work by recessing the bottom of the the plug/bolt. I tried a bit of sandpaper on the countersunk hole, and I thought it was too rubbery to sand well. So I just cleaned up the hole by melting it with the head of a carriage bolt that I heated up on the stove. Yes, I did the melting outside in a well ventilated area. After I screwed on the plug/bolt, I filled the hole flush on the bottom with silicone.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have 2 wave skaters, but I never got too enthused about the way they rode. Plus I don't like that much bouyancy any more.

My all time favorite off the shelf plastic spongey board is the Area 51 soft top skimboard. Only 1 inch thick, so not too much float...more like a paipo.

surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That area 51 looks like fun.
In OZ we have such a small market that theres not a lot of choice on the shelves, I even emailed the owner dude from WaveSkater and asked if theyre coming to Oz but he said Later .........
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Waveskater board has arrived from the states, got it for the princeley sum of hundred pounds including postage must admit pretty impressed and can wait to try her out. Got the 45" version and now wish I had gone for the 48" one, hoping 3" isn,t going to make to much difference with the way it goes
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo-oo-oo! Ride report! Ride report!!!!! Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: