rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ply Paipo's HPD style!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Keep us posted... Interesting that the get up and goer in junky waves is longer and narrower.
kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, counter-intuitive! But I also rode that one second, so it might have been that my technique was just improving!

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bj,

Despite the conditions - looks like there was the odd section. The arm forward style is classic HPD.

Is this an annual soiree?

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

Yeah, I copied the style right out of old paipo vids! Turns out its totally functional!

"SCABS Days Out" will be random and unpredictable, but if you're gonna be in town, we'll organise one for sure!

I feel like a kid in a candy store with this much access to a style of surfing most people don't even know exists!

Cheers,
BJ.

www.deluxepaipo.com
Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool pics ... some decent waves for all to have fun ... wish I was there to share a few waves.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to "hear" any comparison you can make between handling characteristics of these boards relative to the parabolic alaia ones you've made/ridden.
surffoils

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice boards and the pics are great. Especially the one armed Paipo SUPER MAN !

I picked this up as Tom Wegeners sealing mix...
1/3 raw linseed
1/3 gum turpentine
1/3 apple cider vinegar
But its one that needs to be re-done occaisionally.
kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Geoffrey, the pick paipo's felt closer to a mat than an alaia. I find they both work best if you're right up on them, head hanging over the front, while on the alaia I have more board hanging out the front. The picks are very fast, but the width makes rapid direction changes a bit slower. My 5'6 and 5'8 alaia's turn on a dime, and carve drawn out turns well too! This might also be because I've spent a good 4 years riding alaia's, while I'm still quite new on the mat, and the picks....well I've only ridden them each once! More reports to come......

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ,

There is some real technique involved with the really short boards. Check out Barry Hutchins interview to see his riding style. In the late 60s guys were riding sub 4' ply boards out at very solid Winki. There is an interview in the production queue that will describe this in more detail.

I think the turning on the guitar pick style boards is very different to the alaia. Ted tells me Paul Lindbergh gave him some advice - he didn't tape this this but it would be inetresting to hear his thoughts or those of any HPD riders.

Bob
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kid. I have ridden mats quite a bit and they are super sensitive, just a little hip roll and they carve right around! I'm guessing that on the HPD style you need to get your mind around probably even shifting hip position side to side and then really cramming that back corner w/ your hip. Also, they likely do come around a bit slower but just because you are pushing against a bigger/wider planning area. I'm just guessing on all this of course, never really having ridden a pick shaped board.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: cc Reply with quote

longer and narrower every time is faster in mushy soup. i agree with the kid feller, narrower and longer is way easier to turn and a more down the line kinda trip. the picks go way fast and are bumpy in hawiian stuff. designed for hawaii, in hawaii. i find the wider pickish boards if they get any water under them start to wanna slide around to the point that they become some what uncontrollable.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to most respectfully disagree. I think HPDs have to be ridden pretty far up on the nose. The slower and lower the wave the farther up you have to be. I don't think hip shifting will help that much because you would be trying to push the fat part of the board with your hip against the (probably) steepest part of the wave. Superman style is good, as is one handed, but when you want to turn sharp a more body board arm placement will be more responsive I think. On a right hand wave, right elbow on the right side of the board right hand on the left side of the nose to provide pulling leverage to go right. Left hand further down the board on the left side for left leverage. Opposite for left waves. (I hope this is right I'm pretty dyslexic). My apologies to all who find that elementary.
kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean like this? (sorry for the dark photo)

www.deluxepaipo.com
kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or like this?

I found this technique quite effective, although it takes a fair bit of effort to get the rail on a board this wide to bite in for a hard banking turn!

www.deluxepaipo.com
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! But I think i see your board does not have much nose rocker. I am a bit of a bore on the the subject of nose rocker because I think these little fat boards need it. So you can get out farther farther farther on the front without pearling. I wonder if that might affect turning because of the amount of rail that is dipping in?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: