rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Paipo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hewey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: First Paipo Reply with quote

Ive started my first Paipo. I got a boardcad template from Surfing Green, I figured for my first board I'd just follow that straight before 'experimenting' Laughing

Following my Alaia with the dodgey lines I decided to make a mdf template, clean and smooth that, and then use it. Definitely a much better outcome Very Happy

littlefoot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Will you use marine varnish on it?
hewey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlefoot wrote:
Looks great. Will you use marine varnish on it?

Thanks. Thats the plan, and Ive got some left over from a different project too so its perfect Very Happy
littlefoot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one out of cutouts recently and I applied just 2 coats of marine varnish. Didn't bother with a third coat because it was just a test and it seems to be quite waterproof.
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 4 to 6 coats of helman spar varnish. well done keep up the good work expect to see more to come MRMIKE
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hewey,

Looks much better. Now for the important bit. Get some decent swim fins and then surf it and surf it. Tell us what is like riding this board. It won't be like a body board.

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice board. I suggest rounding off the corners of the tail a bit though.
hewey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Littlefoot, MrMike, bgreen and OG-AZN Very Happy

The local surf shop has fins, going shopping tomorrow morning Very Happy

Concave and the rails marked out

View from the top

Final shape, trimmed the end of the tail off. Still needed final sanding at this stage Very Happy

Nose of the board shaped, just needs to be smoothed out a little

Woohoo, sanding is done, time for some marine grade varnish. Love how it brings out the colour and grain in the wood

Pretty happy with how it looks

Shot of the end gives you an idea of the profile

mmmmm, wood

I had to get an arty shot in Wink

Just needs a couple more coats of varnish and she's good to surf - can't wait! Very Happy Very Happy
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking gooood
hewey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it in the surf today Very Happy Perfect conditions for me too - small crumbling waves, and found a small uncrowded beach with lifeguards on duty (given my lack of experience I thought this was wise). I also added a leash for good measure.

Having never used fins before, getting out was interesting Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Water was too shallow to paddle but deep enough that walking was rather awkward. In deeper water I found that I could paddle better, but found I was usually too far forward on the board and the whole thing was a couple of inches under water. Had to keep telling myself to move back on the board!

I caught about 3 or so decent waves where I rode them out. Missed a handful too Laughing Laughing The good rides I got were your typical newbie ride straight into the beach, as opposed to along the wave face.

All in all I had fun, but I wasnt very good Laughing Laughing
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hewey,

Fins take a bit of getting used to if you have never used them. I'd recommend getting out of the habit of going straight to shore. All you need to do, is when you start kicking is to hold the board at an angle. Where the nose is pointed is basically where you go. There is no comparison between
riding whitewater to shore and catching waves. If you are only going out in small waves forget the leash - you need to learn how to bodysurf to shore.

Also, alaia don't float like a bodyboard. Expect to have less bouyancy. As you learn to kick & wave knowledge increases you'll miss fewer waves. The only way to learn is do it.

regards

Bob
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: fds Reply with quote

yo bro from downundo! hold the board out in front of you and kick, like a paddle board not on top of it like a booger. and the leash? not advisable/needed. you can hold onto something with no float, no problem. i only wish i had a leash on my longer, thicker boards, they are a might bit harder to hold onto, the buoyancy and all. keep at it, bud.
Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job with this first paipo Hewey !
Keep riding to improve and have a look at Kid's pics to see where he places his hands on the board to turn and go down the line ... not with the inside arm straigt and forward Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: