rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I got wood.........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: I got wood......... Reply with quote

I've been having so much fun on my little Pirate Plank Alaia I wanted to make a couple more out of the amazing paulownia but the place I got the last batch of wood from pretty much doubled their prices! Crying or Very sad

I exchanged emails with Tom Wegener bemoaning the fact he's made the Paulownia Alaia so popular that paulownia has become harder to get and more expensive and did he have any idea about a suitable substitute?
His reply was that as far as he knew paulownia was probably the only perfect wood for the task but he also said his brother Jon who's in Hermosa could hook me up.
Jon was kind enough to meet me halfway between our places and he brought me down enough raw paulownia stock for probably three new organic wave sliders for less than the price of a new booger. Very Happy
Stoked!
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy: Are there any significant differences in paulownia wood from different sources i.e. Asia, Australia, USA for board making purposes? I've always wondered about the high price of the wood vs. the ease of growing it commercially. It's considered a pest/invasive species in parts of the US. I planted 2 local unwanted pest seedlings last summer. Maybe I'll have some nice board stock in 10 yrs.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya I wanted a plant or two but they can't be sent to ca. Sad
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,

With the usual caveats here is the wikipedia account:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia

It certainly looks like there is a native Australian paulownia, though I don't think this is what is used for surfboards.

Some comparative info is found here:
http://www.sfprd.com/PAULOWNIA.pdf

I vaguely recall reading about Paulownia elongata & Paulownia tomentosa in relation to surfboards. I also recall an interview somewhere describing a light & a heavier type of paulownia.

Global Ernie is growing some of his own - if I hear from him I'll ask if he researched this and what type he has grown.

regards

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stuff I had originally purchased was grown in Georgia and it has a sort of yellowish tinge.
The wood I just got from Jon has more of a white oak color and I believe it was grown in Austraila but I may be mistaken.
I think it is illegal to grow it in California but again I may be mistaken.
I know they will not ship seeds or seedlings to Cali... Sad
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the wood I got from Georgia was not so good and split easy I an going back to cedar and other woods. I find wight is not so important I have made boards out of oak and black walnut and when in the water they work just fine maybe better when you are screaming down a big wave and they look better MRMIKE Cool

OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, but what I meant to ask was if anyone knew of any differences working with stock sourced from different countries. Most paulownia lumber is P. elongata no matter what country it's grown in. I was just wondering if the same species grown in different locales produced noticeably different quality wood. Grumpy: if your new wood is Australian, I'd like to hear how the shaping and riding of the new boards works out vs. the originals.

I don't think paulownia is illegal in California. I ordered seeds online without a problem (seedlings died on me - my bad) and I know of and have talked to commercial growers operating openly in California. Here's the resource link I posted awhile back:
http://rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742&sid=c90f3336441a221b031c84077393b8b3
I also know of one local nursery that sells the seedlings occasionally. I got my seedlings late last summer from an eccentric architect lady who planted trees she got from the local Home Depot. The trees grew too large and she had them removed. However, the seeds of the tree continue to sprout like weeds in her yard. She was posting the seedlings on the local Craigslist. I'm waiting to see how much growth I get this summer from mine.
puurri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO Australian species of Paulownia. EOS
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no American Species of Paulownia either but that doesn't mean it's not grown here.
I did not say it was an Australian specie.
I said it might have been grown there.
From Tom Wegener's site.
Quote:
There are also different types of paulownia trees and grades of wood. I have tried them all. The stock of paulownia coming out of Paradise Plantations in NSW is the best and that is where all my wood comes from

Other then the obvious color difference, the wood is the same.
BTW Trevor, you are right.
It's not only legal but there's at least one nursery here in CA.
http://dragontrees.com/
And a seed vendor who has this description of the plant
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/SeedlistO-PA.htm
'EMPRESS TREE', 'ROYAL PAULOWNIA'. Showy, fragrant, 2" long, pale violet-blue foxglove-like flowers striped yellow and spotted inside, in large upright pyramidal clusters to 10" long in April & May, before the leaves have fully emerged. Top-shaped pods. Large, tropical-looking velvety foot-long leaves. Fast growing to 30 - 70 feet. China. The wood is used for cabinetry, fenceposts and houses in China, where the flowers are fed to swine to fatten them, and the tree has many medicinal uses, and the leaves are used to wash hair to restore its color and thickness. Germinates in 2 - 3 weeks.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to get some now Smile
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys in So. Cal might want to call Eco Ranchos @805) 640-8534 in he Ventura area. Commercial operation; they might deal in lumber too.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puurri,

I'm not a botanist, but here is the site that describes a native paulownia -

http://www.fastestgrowingshadetrees.com/faq.php

Bob
puurri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puurri,

No worries. I strongly suspect that P.Australis isn't what is used for surfboards. I caught up with Global Ernie at Yamba today. He's growing paulownia but didn't know what species.

Regarding Trevor's original question, there is likely to be some variation in species if the climate is different, soil etc, but whether it is sufficiently different when a board is made, I am unsure. With some luck I will be doing an interview with Tom W and will ask him. Kid may also know as he has a bit to do with Tom.

regards

Bob
puurri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ most definitely!

FWIW most OZ timbers have a much greater degree of mineralisation due to milennia of firestick farming. When transported/ grown in other climes they get wimpy. Esp grey mangrove in Florida.

Rainforest timbers esp Toona spp esp when Nuigini varietal and the Phillipine sp (T. " Kalantis") become very stringy and don't work very well.

THe critical issues are those of density (M3 kg, best abt 300-400kg), mineralisation and most desirable a crosslinked grain structure.

FWIW DONT USE EPOXY in glue ups as epoxies require low clamping pressure and abraded surfaces.

(plus ability to accept glues: Huon is a no no for this though King Billy Pine might be worth an experiment)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: