rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First board - 6 foot pine Alaia

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hewey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: First board - 6 foot pine Alaia Reply with quote

I've started my first board build, its a 6 foot pine Alaia. This won't be ridden, but more so for decoration with my tiki stuff. Im also using the process to practice before I build a couple of 4 foot Alaia style Paipos from Paulownia.

Here are the blanks together. The 6 footer is butted pine, which was bought from the local hardware store. The 2 x 4 foot blanks are from Surfing Green here in Australia. I only ordered one, but Grant from SG threw in the second one as a freeby as the grain is slightly weaker so they couldnt sell it as a blank Very Happy Very Happy

So for now Im just starting on the bigun. I traced the shape for the board off the computer screen, then drew up a quick grid pattern

I then transferred that to baking paper, and cut out the template, laid it on my pine board, and weighed it down with the first thing I could find, being model cars Laughing Laughing

Trace it, flip it over and trace it again.

Finished shape

In the shed for cutting. Only had one saw horse, so the other end was balanced on my log pile (drying them out to carve)

Starting to shape up Very Happy Sides need a little work to tidy up, but given its just a wall piece Im not too concerned Wink

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good example of wiggles in the template leading to wiggles in the board. When you shape the paulownia blank, you might consider making a 1/8" thick hardboard (Masonite) template. It's easier to get the wiggles out of the template, than out of the thicker wood. It's an extra step, but can save time on the final shaping.

The other option is to skip the template, and draw (trace) directly on the timber. For example you can trace the edge of your pith helmet to get the curve of the nose. Maybe the tail is a vintage hubcap. Then connect the nose and tail traces with either straight lines, or slightly curved lines. A fishing pole or thin wood molding can be used to trace the long side curves. Be the first guy on your block with a pith helmet nose paipo....or maybe even a ridable tiki.

PS...I sometimes use a surfboard fin to draw (trace) fish tails.
hewey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Poobah. The biggest issue I had was that when I transferred my sketch to the larger scale it had wiggles in it because I was just freehanding it. Your idea with the fishing pole would have been perfect to address this.

When I bought the Paulownia blanks from Surfing Green, they also supplied a number of templates for different Alaia boards in different length for use in Board Cad. I downloaded Board Cad and that’s all working well, but I don’t have a printer to print out the templates! So for this pine one I just had a go at freehanding it. When I make the Paipo's in Paulownia I'm definitely going to be a lot more careful to make sure I get nice clean lines and I'll work out a way to print out the templates properly. Thanks again for the tips Very Happy
hewey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt happy with the shape of the fish tail rear end so I lopped it off, so it looks more like a traditional Alaia. I then rounded off the edges a bit, and gave the rails some shape too (although not much, given it wont be a rider so its not critical).

Once I'd done that, I decided to wack the bejesus out of it, just for kicks. As luck would have it, a hammer and a tyre iron were close at hand Laughing Laughing

Now that the shape was sorted, time to engrave a Tangaroa face. First of all a quick sketch.

Yup, looks good.

Trace

And carve. I wasnt completely happy with how it turned out, cutting across the grain gave pretty messy cuts Sad

So it hit it with a burner

I them sanded the face a little to knock off some of the burnt bits. And to give the wood some more colour, I sprayed a little red primer then wipped it off straight away, only doing a dinner plate size at a time.

Next I went over it with some black paint, using a paint brush to get it into the knocks and dings I made, then wipe it off again.

For comparison I lined the offcuts up next to it to illustrate the colour difference

Still need to add the black to the back, then its time for some clear varnish. Very Happy
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

Yes the wiggles. I liked you advice regarding the use of objects to draw the outline - though it could result in a weird looking board in the wrong hands.

Hewey,

There is a wealth of info on templates on Swaylocks

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/templates-4
http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/making-templates
http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1029067

Clean up the wiggles with a small handplane - this will get the curves right. The board will look & feel much better.

You wrote elsewhere: "Hey guys, Im new on here and just wanted to introduce myself. Im Hewey and I live in the outer burbs of Sydney (read over an hour to the beach). I've never surfed before, I boogie boarded once as a kid, and I'm about to make a couple of Alaia style Paipo"

Now, without sounding condescending take some care with whatever board you create. You'll need swim fins if you want to catch waves. Find a place away from other people or you'll find others may abuse you. Learn as much as you can about surfing conditions and surfing & make sure you can swim proficiently or you may end up another statistic. Look for small longer lined waves to start out with rather than a solid shore dump.

regards

Bob
hewey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, some interesting reading there.

bgreen wrote:

Now, without sounding condescending take some care with whatever board you create. You'll need swim fins if you want to catch waves. Find a place away from other people or you'll find others may abuse you. Learn as much as you can about surfing conditions and surfing & make sure you can swim proficiently or you may end up another statistic. Look for small longer lined waves to start out with rather than a solid shore dump.

Totally agree. I'm looking at doing a beginner lesson to learn the basics (reading the surf, etiquette, catching waves, manouvering the board etc). There's some at bondi, they no longer do group bodyboarding classes but do one on one classes. I've also found the Aussie surf atlas which outlines beaches and which ones are beginner freindly.
puurri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this from a single piece of quarter sawn timber (esp plantation grown) it is bound to fail.

Options are to thickness plane the plain sawn boards to desired dims, fasten with dowels and glue (NOT WITH EPOXY). Then go for it.

Then go and talk to timber boatbuilders about hull lay up, fibreglass/ epoxy resin and design principles otherwise you won't progress past the novelty phase!
hewey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puurri wrote:
If this from a single piece of quarter sawn timber (esp plantation grown) it is bound to fail.

This board is made from butted pine, but its purely a 'display' board I made for my tiki/surf room and it was also a good excuse to play with some of the construction techniques before making an actual board that I'll surf. When I make some 'proper' Paipo's, Ive got butted Paulownia blanks from Surfing Green Very Happy
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it don't just display it surf it. I also make tikis and put them on my boards MRMIKE Cool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: