rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gday from Sydney

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hewey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Gday from Sydney Reply with quote

Hey guys, Im new on here and just wanted to introduce myself. Im Hewey and I live in the outer burbs of Sydney (read over an hour to the beach). I've never surfed before, I boogie boarded once as a kid, and I'm about to make a couple of Alaia style Paipos Shocked Laughing Laughing

A little about me, I love all kinds of old things, be they old cars, beach cruiser bikes, vintage furniture etc. I particularly love the 50s 'modern' style, hot rods and customs, tiki culture and 'kustom kulture art' Very Happy I've dabbled in tiki carving in both wood and aerated concrete, and i love my photography too.

I've bought a plank of butted pine to make a 6 foot Alaia, this is mainly for some wall art and to display with my Von Franco pushie when I go to rod runs. I also bought a 4 foot Alaia blank from Grant at Surfing Green (some of you might know him from swaylocks), and he threw in a 'seconds' blank for nix (wood grain isnt as good as their general stock), absolutely stoked! Plan is to build em and have a couple of surfs before it gets too cold Laughing Heres the pine blank

And some of the tiki stuff I've got that you guys might like. This cabinet is marked '62 on the bottom of one of the drawers, got it for $1 off ebay! Very Happy Great place to store tiki stuff. Half shot of a full size Brian Setzer cutout in the background that I made Laughing

The innards

And on top I have this, vintage etched glass panel. A mate's mother in law found it under the house they bought, my mate built the frame for it and gave it to me for a birthday present Very Happy Very Happy

Big bookcase from Ikea (brought home on the roofrack of the bug I used to own Laughing)

My first attempt at a wooden tiki

Plush tiki was hand sewn by my girl

Some pinstriped panels, and a carving I got while in Vanuatu

Prints from a mate of mine who's an artist in Hawaii

Original pencil sketch from the same artist

Original WWII era grass skirt from PNG my Nan picked up during the war.

Hawaiian shirts Laughing

Von Franco tiki bike by Dyno, complete with hibiscus tread whitewalls Very Happy

And a couple of pin up style shots with my girl

OG-AZN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Hewey. Definitely try surfing those boards you plan to make before you hang 'em on your wall. You guys down there seem to have no shortage of good waves. I like your pictures too - lot's of familiar stuff. I used to distribute a lot of the books in your library & I put in way too many miles on cruiser bikes getting to the beach back in the day. Since you're also into car & tiki culture stuff, here's 2 photos of the interior of my beach ride; it was a mild 70's resto project that went out of control ( photos are still paipo /surf related as they also show the spot I made to hold my bodyboards, paipos & fins)

kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hewey! welcome to the Paipo forum!

I got a bike background too, I have a red cruiser with flames from the same series as your tiki cruiser!

Pine is ok for your first go at an alaia, but if you want paulownia I can send you in the right direction!

Cheers,
BJ.

www.deluxepaipo.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: