rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alaia Forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
I have bent a board by clamping it to a flat table and blocking up the nose by 1" and puting lots of hot water on it and let it sit for a few days MIKE

Sort of the "steam by proxie" or "in absentia" method.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got it Laughing
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks. Can I get a few more pointers? Ok, I need a flat table. Regarding the wedges - would two long wedges replicating the desired bottom curve do, or is some other set up required.

How many litre/pints of boiling water are required. Is the idea to thoroughly soak the board or is it more the heating up of wood by pouring water over it? Can you wet it too much?

What is the best system of applying the clamps - a couple at the nose and some along the rails to hold it in place?

Any dumb things to avoid?

regards

bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 to 3 wedges shaped to the conture that you want the board to take pour lots and lots of hot water about 10 to 20 liters till the wood is wet all the way through then clamp for a week or untill the wood is all the way dry. don't try to bend it too much 1" or so should be enought use wood cross bars with clamps on the ends so the presure is even all the way across the board. If you had a big enought pot you could soak it in the hot water for 30 mins or so MIKE Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of people placing wood in bathroom shower stall or bathtub and running water or plugging drain and soaking there...
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike ,

Thanks. The BellyBoard Build thread provides some pics to go with your advice.

Geoffrey,

The John Manss interview refers to the shower method as does the ProtoKneelo Youtube clip.

I don't think the family would be too keen on the shower option, though it might be one way to get the board soaked through qucikly - though a waste of water in our drought..

regards

Bob
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use old plastic bag from shopping to plug drain in shower and just fill it up to rim and soak in that rather than leave it run. Of course, that is dependent on shower having a raised rim on the door side!
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm - maybe I should measure up the bathtub?

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save water bath with your board Embarassed
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
save water bath with your board Embarassed

Much better! Or just take your bath and then leave the water for the board to bathe second. Less splinters where you don't want them that way.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 questions about parabolic rails

1) Are they symmetrical front to back so that the deepest point of the cut is always at the midpoint of the parabola? OR are they asymmetrical so that the deepest point of the parabola is always at some particular point along the board?

2) Are the bottom and deck roll shaped along the parabola so that the rail is the same thickness along its entire length? OR are to deck and bottom shaped to match what would be a "non-parabolic" rail so that the rail is thickest at the deepest point of the parabola?

Seems like both of these would have significant effect on how the board handles when ridden...
kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that running the side cut up toward the middle of the board works best in bigger, hollower waves, while moving it to the back 3rd makes the board turn better. I've posted this pic elsewhere, but I'll put it up here again becuase it shows both styles on two of my favourite boards.

The board on the left is my go-to for anything over 5ft while the one in the middle is great in smaller stuff. I also try to keep the rail thickness the same the whole way round the board, although i've done it the other way and I can't really tell the difference.

www.deluxepaipo.com
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that is helpful.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of its relevance to surfing - but for something on the theory of side-cuts (and skiing) see:

The Effect of Sidecut Radius on the Dynamics of Alpine Skiing by K.D. MacDermid

http://www.mta.ca/faculty/science/physics/eJournalMechanics/Skiing.pdf

Bob
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think some relevance but not exact as snow is so much denser than water and the forces load up in different proportions, powder closer to water and though I'm not sure, I think sidecut has some but decreasing relevance as you move into softer, lighter powder.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: