rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alaia Forum
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d_latimer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Alaia Forum Reply with quote

I've been riding boogieboards, kneeboards and bodysurfing for 40+ years now and was totally unprepared for what I found in a 48"x 18"x.625" laminated pine tabletop from Home Depot. I rounded off the nose tapered it back to 16" at the tail rounded over the rails and put an ever so slight concave in the bottom (because I don't have much Patience) oiled it with Watco and went surfing. Though it bounces around more than I'd like in big unruly waves I've never had so much fun in clean barrels big or small. WHAT'S WITH THESE THINGS?
Builders, riders, dreamers, artists, let's open this topic up.
When does it get to wide, to narrow, to long, to short?
Oh yeah... their beautiful too (MrMike)

Unfortunately, the pine developed a fatal crack yesterday (in some mighty fine barrels). I shaped a replica out of 3/8" ply but it doesn't have the same weight, we'll see in the morning

I'm Hooked

Dave
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks d_latimer for that info on your experience w/ a Home Depot pine board alaia. I recently met a guy at the beach who was riding a nice mini alaia he built from Home Depot pine. I thought about making one for myself, but I think I'll go w/ some stronger wood based on your experience w/ cracking. I haven't had much luck keeping my plywood paipos alive either; even my latest epoxy'd board seems to being showing signs of weakening. Let us know how your ply board alaia rides.
kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right with you! I've ridden alaia's (prone and stand-up) almost exclusively for nearly 4 years now! These things rock!!!!!!

www.deluxepaipo.com
kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about 2/3rds of my alaia quiver! These things are addictive!

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After interviewing quite a few paipo makers /riders, all I can say is that there is incredible variety in what can be ridden. For example, 3' ply boards being ridden in some of Australia's premier waves, in very solid conditions.

I have a 19" Wegener alaia that is 5'. I reckon you can go narrower and shorter - however the riding style is radically different in very short boards.

I don't like the super flexy boards. I loaned Bongoman a board I made (based on a John Galera shape) and he found it caught waves much easier than his traditional alaia.

There is a lot of personal preference, wave type & riding style to consider.

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that 14 to 16 inches wide seems to be the optimum range with stand-up alaia's. If you go wider you lose rail-to-rail control, and you don't gain much if anything in paddle speed. With prone alaia's I ride 'em as narrow as 11 inches and short as 2ft! Play around, I don't think anyone has hit on any magic formula yet!

www.deluxepaipo.com
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alaia Forum Reply with quote

d_latimer wrote:
I've been riding boogieboards, kneeboards and bodysurfing for 40+ years now and was totally unprepared for what I found in a 48"x 18"x.625" laminated pine tabletop from Home Depot. I rounded off the nose tapered it back to 16" at the tail rounded over the rails and put an ever so slight concave in the bottom (because I don't have much Patience) oiled it with Watco and went surfing. Though it bounces around more than I'd like in big unruly waves I've never had so much fun in clean barrels big or small. <snipped some>

Dave

For those in a position to experiment with different shapes in larger waves I would suggest adding roundness to the bottom contour to negate some of the bounce and boom with the cross chop. Of course, this concept may not work very well with the less than 1 inch thick wood boards unless you can apply your best shaping skills and preserve the integrity of the board. Spooning a 2 inch plank might work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
d_latimer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my current quiver showing my now very sick alaia. Kid, I'm awed by your collection...er....addiction. Very Happy I see myself going down the same path.[/img]
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_latimer don't throw that pine away it can be glued, that the nice thing about wood. I can't tell you how many boards I have cracked. just split the board in two pieces then reglue it with titebond 2 clamp it overnight then sand the joint and reapply the oil the joint should be stronger than the wood MRMIKE Cool
d_latimer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mrmike, I think I'll try that. Hows the swell down your way? Kid, great action shots!
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big swell all week 8ft+ down to about 5 to 6 today MIKE Very Happy
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three photos of the current project

The outline- from the bottom:

The side view - it has quite a bit of nose lift. Next time, I won;t glue an extra piece of wood on top of the deck for thickness- far too much work and wasted timber. The tail lift is an illusion - it has lifted because of the weight in the front. I may need to plane this back further but wanted to see how it floated first. This board may just be ridden further back.

The deck - the ugly line is where the extra thickness was glued on. Hopefully oil wil conceal the line a bit.

If it is like my other board - it goes much better than it looks. Sure have learnt a lot on these. Looking forward to the test ride.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good to me Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks - a question. I started the lift 20" from the nose. I have seen your boards with a block glued on near the nose to get lift. There is the option of steaming, but do you have any other suggestions regarding get a gradual nose lift in a board short of starting with a really thick piece of wood and whittling away.

If this one isn;t successful, I may just go back to the very slight nose lift model.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bent a board by clamping it to a flat table and blocking up the nose by 1" and puting lots of hot water on it and let it sit for a few days MIKE
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: