rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My next handboard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad, because it is a beautiful little board. I especially like the fingerholes.
Thierry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Too bad, because it is a beautiful little board. I especially like the fingerholes.

I dug the place where the fingers should go then stuck a piece of wood on the top because I guessed It would be difficult to hold the board firmly when being washed by a wave and hoping the fingers would be less of an obstacle to the water flow.
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the water going every where but under the hand board Theirry. I have a Hydro Bodysurfer hand board that also has a hole for your hand to grip, and the water comes out of the hole like a fountain and slows me down. I think straps are the best way so far to secure your hand to a hand board.
kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I've been playing around with for a while.
I call it "The Pick" (guitar pick) It's 2ft by 15inches with a deep double concave. Riding it is somewhere between a handplane and a paipo. Its very fast, highly manoeuvrable, and ride super deep in the barrel! SOOOOO much fun!
kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and a couple of hand-planes!

www.deluxepaipo.com
kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handplane Practise!

Handplane Fail!

You're doing it wrong!

www.deluxepaipo.com
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice handboards, have you tried them yet?
kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey HIpaipo, I've been obsessively testing different outlines and different bottom contours for the last year or so. I reckon a rail-to-rail concave with a slight hull shape under the nose seems to work best. I've also tried straps and hole-grips, and I don't think there's a huge difference. I tested the strap model with the chinese character for "hand" (far right in top pic) this morning in 4-5ft hollow shore break, and I think I've hit on a good formula! It also has parabolic rails which work well on alaia's. Just to be sure I came home and made an exact replica, but with a hole-grip (see bottom pic). I'll post a ride report as soon as I can test both in the same conditions!
Cheers,
BJ

www.deluxepaipo.com
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own experiments with the short end of the stick are buried about five years deep in the archives. So I think it's worth a link back for the new readers here. My "cubit" boards are long enough for elbow leverage, and most of them don't have handles. They are meant to be ridden with 2 hands, like a bodyboard...one hand on the nose and the other hand on the rail.

http://rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239&highlight=cubit
kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh! Cubit Boards, I like it! I had the idea when I cut an alaia down from 8ft to 6ft, and I had this cool nose piece left over. I put a slight double concave through it, and rolled the last 3 or 4 inches out to the rail. I've become hooked on riding it in hollow close-out beachbreaks. I use the technique of one hand flat on the board, like a handplane, and paddling with the other one to catch waves. Once i'm riding I use your style of inside forearm on the board, and other hand on the nose. Its like bodysurfing with a hand plane, except you can carve full cutbacks and bottom turns without losing any speed! In closed-out barrels you travel a long long way inside the tube before the inevitable hammering! Thanks for your post Poobah, now I know what to call the damn thing!

www.deluxepaipo.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: