rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tumak's New Balsa

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Tumak's New Balsa Reply with quote

Tumak,
in a recent post you mentioned a new balsa five footer about to enter production. Is it another George Robinson board? How will it be different from your current board? Have you considered dishing out the deck differently to make it more prone-friendly than knee-friendly? Like the deck on John Galera's boards. I just figure that if you're going to ride a long board, that you might want make use of your hips when turning the board. Be IN the board rather than just on the board.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Poobah! I'm sort of going back and forth about certain things with this new board. Presently, I'm waiting to hear from George that the blank is done. Though he and I have agreed to make it a collaboration this time - basically meaning that I would oversee the shaping, making it my design using his shaping ability - I'm still secretly thinking of just taking the blank and shaping it myself! I haven't shaped since 1971, when I cut down an old longboard. That project turned out well...and I should be able to do a good job...but I've certainly never worked with balsa, and I have no tools, etc. I don't even have sawhorses! Chances are that I'll just stick to our present agreement.
You probably saw that I'm planning on another 5-footer. I love the size. My present plan is to make it purely a paipo; yes, with more concave in the deck. I have to make it suitable for average FL surf, and basically want to alter the HFP design by making the new board
a) thinner, with thinner, softer rails, kind of eggy
b) wider (18" nose, 22" wide point rear of center, 20" tail)
c) a rounder tail
I've been considering bottom contours and have been having trouble deciding whether to follow the HFP design with a slightly rounded bottom, or to go with a flat bottom. George made twin fin fish paipos for my wife and me in 2002 that had dished out decks, and flat bottoms with sweet, thin down rails. These work real well! I like a lot of speed...and the combination of balsa and flat bottom may be my optimum choice. I've been considering a flat bottom with some soft chine along the rails on about the first two-thirds of the board. Do you think that a real spoony paipo is a good idea? I think Galera's boards look awesome, but I like more conventional board apsects, personally. I've been thinking that on our waves, a design that's too spoony might bog down too much. Right now, I can take out my paipos and ride and have a great time on little bitty waves that even longboarders have trouble with. I like that! And when it does get epic, my paipos seem to adjust real well...I like that too!
Also, the design has to be something George can replicate easily, as we are planning to offer the design as a regular Model. I don't want to come up with something he's unwilling to duplicate happily.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Tumak's New Balsa Reply with quote

From where I sit John's paipos look like two big chines with a channel in between. But he's got a whole lot of fast moving water coming up the wave at him. More than we have to deal with. I wasn't suggesting that you do much to alter the bottom of your current board, but rather the deck and tail. Dish it deeper but still be able to easily slide forward and back. It sounds like you're already angled in that direction. On my El Paipo 54 I'd sometimes pull myself so far forward that my head would be past the nose. It's a whole different feeling when you steer with a lot of torso. But you already know that. You can arm tackle a guy in football, but it's a whole lot easier when you hit him with your central mass. I want to ride a long paipo with a wider tail than what I had on my EP 54. Those boards had a very narrow round tail.
John Galera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Balsa Board Reply with quote

My paipo's do require alot of fast moving water to work well. They tend to bog down in waves under 3'. Basically only the inboard half the board is utilized when riding. My firend has an old 1969 El Paipo that has a dished out deck with standard rails, I found that board to work exteremly well. I liked the feeling of being "inside" the board, but found the 9" skeg a little scary. See if I can get a picture and post it. I really love the balsa look, but mine are so time consuming to make(with only 1"x2" balsa pieces) how much does a solid blank cost??
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blank will be high quality balsa from Ecuador (George is half Inca and half Swedish; he has Ecuadorian family connections), and will have two cedar stringers spaced just over an inch apart. I got that idea from Tyler Hatzikian and Scott Anderson, who use this placement on longboards in order to be able to slot a Bahne box nice and snug in between them. It's a cool look, and functional for strength. One problem is that Customs keeps pushing rods through his balsa shipments looking for drugs, so he often has to use filler to fix those blemishes.
He quoted me something in the neigborhood of $340 for the blank, just about the cost of one of his finished paipos done in foam & fiberglass. The stringers will add about $30 to the project, but I've often wished the HFP had at least one stringer...two stringers will really dress it up. Yeah, it's a lot of money, but what a great ride balsa is...no question about it! The phrase I use to describe it is, "spiritually right."
Poobah, I'm glad you like the idea of a longer paipo...I thought maybe there was something wrong with me! Our first two paipos were each 4'6", and when the idea popped up to do one in balsa last year, I just thought I had to go a little longer; I think it feels great at 4'6" - 5 feet. Any bigger than 5 feet and I think I'd start to wonder...I don't know; that Flying Disc 2 is 5'6" if I remember correctly, and that thing looks like it would definitely be a sweet ride (though it's "manager" states in the new Surfer's Journal that it seems to ride rather stiffly).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: