rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Paipo Interviews
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: The Paipo Interviews Reply with quote

Would you be interested in conducting interviews with people located in the California area? If so, please contact Bob Green. We have made tentative contacts with "people of interest" in Orange County and Northern California. John Clark has graciously agreed to be our paipo research man-in-the-sand in Hawaii and Bob Green has been taking the lead in Australia. But, we can always use for help. Bob Green is in the process of drafting a "standardized template" to use as an outline for conducting paipo interviews - of course, some background research and/or knowledge is also useful and the template is only a starting point.

I will be in Central Florida (with possible side trips to St. Augustine to the north and points to the south) in mid-November, extending my warm water season and visiting with family. The Cocoa Beach Surf Museum has offered to provide access to their magazine, books and other relevant artifacts. Hopefully they will have a nice collection of 50s/60s era surf mags and a scanner will be available. If you know of anyone that shoudl be interviewed or that has collections of these types of artifacts please let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
surfnturf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey rod, i'll give a holler to my friend 'balsa bill' yerkes down in satellite bch. bill is a member of the east coast surfing hall of fame, and owned SUNDEKsurfwear back in the 70's n 80's. now has a sweet little surfshop in S.B. he's great for talkin story!
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfnturf,

Were you thinking of recording it or taking notes? As Rod mentioned we are working on a general framework for interviews, but some background info on the person makes for a richer and more detailed conversation.

Some folks make but don't ride paipo, others design, so often there are different angles or stories to tell.

Bob
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having difficulty sending a PM (#@$#%^%!!!) so maybe that means I should put it here on the forum. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Calm calm thoughts.
Anyway... I'd be happy to interview anyone up in Nor Cal or help in any way I can. So Bob ( you are the organizing guy I think?) let me know.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kage,

Thanks. Not sure about the organizing guy, but I have done a few interviews and negotiated a few others. Once Rod is back I hope to be able to send him 2 more and John Clark may be able to add a couple.

We have been especially interested in documenting the past - any guys you can think of who were active in the 60s. Mike might be a candidate - I'd need to trawl through the archives because there is already a lot of info there, but am open to suggestions.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kage,

Just sent you a PM. Maybe the system was temporarily down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage,

I saw your 3 pm and sent you a reply, though it didn't show in my sentbox/outbox. Let me know if you receive it.

Rod,

I will send an interview over the weekend and possibly some more scanned pages. I uploaded a couple of pages a day or say ago. I need some advice about Youtube or something, as the video file was too big to send on your upload site (2 MB).

Bob
DaGRizTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen you could always just post the url of the video... Idea

There is a surf museum in Corpus Christi:
http://www.texassurfmuseum.com/txSurfMain_content.html#Home
I'll give them a shout and see if they have anything of interest.
Sea-ya
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.

-Mark Twain
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaGRizTX,

Thanks. No idea about the Youtube upload - have to read abut this. By all means check out the museum, manufacturers/surfers. Sounds good.

Bob
DaGRizTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob no need to upload the video just copy and paste the url as I did with the surf museum's url.
Sea-ya
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.

-Mark Twain
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaGRizTX,

There was no URL to post. 10 hour + upload from home. Hope it is of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lss-QILYwGc

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Bob, you earned a long period of grace getting that footage up. Fantastic! May empty waves come your way. Thanks.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels,

Thanks.

I'm hoping the real quality will not be too far behind. Stig Waidelich is working on a more commercial project, with footage of his father and Jim Growney. He told me that he now has the footage back and is working on the soundtrack and other content. This is going to take some time but sounds like really good material.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool stuff. look how faster the paipo is over the old boards. I would not want to be hit with one of those 50lb logs Cool
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super groovy video!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: