rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The limits of recycled plywood...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: The limits of recycled plywood... Reply with quote

... reached that limit on this weekends fun fall warm up swell. Cracked my red board last week too, but not as dramatically. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Og-Azn,

Was this one of the recycled boards or was it marine ply? What situation caused the damage?

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of the recycled shed doors, old generic 1/2" 5ply.. Had my best wave of the day, maybe 8 ft face; hollow bowl drop, couple good sections. Decent size close out on the end section & lost my grip on the board. Can't tell if it snapped right then or after it was hit by at least 2 waves after. My other recycled board cracked while I was planing old skool style - legs & arms up on about a head high wave. Hit 2 bumps then a really loud crack on the third one. Found a crack about a 1/4 way across the bottom near the rail; but from the extra rocker and flex the board has now it's clearly a goner. Might make a kickboard out of it though.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't tell how many times I have done that MRMIKE Embarassed

HIpaipo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of coating(resin,oil,etc) did you guys use?
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was 2 coats of 6oz sglass and epoxi both sides on foam. that why I don't do foam no more. but I have cracked some of my wood boards too but most of the time I can fix them with some wood glue and some more varnish mrmike Cool
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 "recycled" boards were sealed w/ polyurethane & painted. Since the wood was already questionable I didn't go any further. I would normally varnish over the paint though.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that was 2 coats of 6oz sglass and epoxi both sides on foam. that why I don't do foam no more.

That foam board is interesting...I'm contemplating trying to thrash out a couple myself this fall. What kind of blank did you use. What dimensions? Any observations on production or use?

Nels
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITwas an old surfboard I got for free. planed it down to about 1" thick and 18" at the nose and 20" at the tail 40" long very little rocker about 1/4" then 2 layers of 6oz sglass with aero epoxi also a layer of color cotton print on the bottom for looks it went fast till I took a big smack down in about 8' surf end of that board Crying or Very sad that is why I use wood now MRMIKE Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: