rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tired of screwing around.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nose rocker I think. What I would like to get out of this thread is a set of "why things work what way rules". Like for x kind of board the nose should be one half the length plus something something. Maybe that's just me? It also seems to me that there are a couple of different basic kind of boards - floaters (foam and glass), planers (neutral bouyancy), small boards (planks that go with a more body-surfing style) trays (or cubits). Each board might have a set of rules that make them work.

Apologies ahead of time for these gross oversimplifications from one of the non-board building members. Very Happy For you guys that do make boards there must be some rules in your heads when you start a new board, I wonder if there is a way to codify them?
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

There are always tradeoffs in design. Sounds like you are saying the longer (5') , thicker (3") board planed better and didn't pearl, but didn't turn as well. What are the dimensions of the comparison board? Does it have a similar shape and rocker?

Thin, non-buoyant boards can plane and don't necessarily pearl - take the HPDs for example. Wave size also makes a difference - I had a copy made of one of John Galeras boards - it was a bit more bouyant. In waves over 6' it bounced a bit rather than sitting in the wave. Didn't pearl, but didn't sit as well in the wave. The wave had power and the board was going real fast. These same boards, in fast light walled waves don't seem to have the same initial acceleration speed, but as John has told me several times, his boards are made for solid waves.

I have made myself a planning board for conditions where the emphasis is speed. Mike has made 20 x this. But then again, he can.

Bob
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: xa Reply with quote

actually, i'm not sure the floaty boards go faster. i didnt have trouble pearling them and they turned but sat on top of the water , not in the water, they are more skates than wave powered, if you know what i mean. the board i ride mostly these days is 4'5x20 is a greeno outlined hull bottom with a slight concave from nose to tail ala bob simmons. its super fast and does everything i want in a board except the pearling and the water flying up into my face, it gets hard to see where i'm going. i think just kicking the nose another inch and moving the wide point a little farther back just might do the trick. the board has an "S" deck and is about 3/4" 2/3's from the nose toward the tail and 1 3/4" thick for the next quarter and then finishes into about 1/2" in the tail. its the best of both worlds, just needs the fine tuning mentioned above, i hope! it works equally well in mush and juice and from 2 to 10' so far, faster in bigger of course. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: