rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show us your LATEST PROJECTS ..boards/fins/whatever.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernowpaipo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: hollow alaia Reply with quote

I might have mentioned that I was building an alaia. Here are some shots of the progress so far:

http://paipoglide.com/alaia1/index.html

Cheers
Andy
surffoils

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I finally found a way to view this site again ! Something went wrong with the net connection in my area a year ago but I found a site called lnoy.com and now I can !
Good to see your work Andy.
Ive been posting a few new toys on swaylocks but heres an update.

Struts for first set of foils.

Aluminium struts and polycarbonate foils.

It was very stable side to side but pitched a bit, but it was my first attempt.

Someone said that Lairds hydrofoils were great but no-one had gone on from there so I went back to the planing foils I did a few years ago and had a crack at making submerged foils. It has been easier to mount them onto a bodyboard but the idea is to make a minimal prone surfcraft that lifts totally out of the water ( except for the foils,natch.). maybe a standup version as well.

The struts are 12 deep and the foils are about 260 sq in combined.Even on small waves it pops to the surface quickly.

Heres the result of doing cutbacks, there must be a lot of lateral force bnecause the struts are too stropng to bend by hand.

Change of foil shape, the twin foils were good but I think par of any experiment is to simplify it down to the basics.

I know other people have made a similar type of thing but Im trying to do something like Gaylord Millers board with just one foil and also make it for use in average surf.
he single foil is only 180 sq in so it needs a little more power to lift but it does , even on waist high waves.

Just another foil shape to see if the swallow tail would be similar in performance to a swallow tail on a planing surfboard. It wasnt.

So I took an oval shape ( 180 sq in) and tried it sideways ...

and lengthways to see what the diff was with performance.

It works well enough to lift me and the board totally out of the water on small waves but its a bit inconsistent with pitch control and in the tube. But Im working on improving rhe foil design for a range of waves.

Ive also been doing some other things. This is a rail fin that gives grip when the board is laid over in a bottom turn or in the tube.

And a few other odd boards.
I like this one. iIt looks cool.

I might have posted some of these elsewhere.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Good to see that persistence won out. I vaguely recall you saying that weren't going to make another board for a while. I must have heard you wrong.

On a different note - do you know Leigh Tingle? A 72 year old who has been surfing the same paipo for 51 years. He sent me some classic footage from the 60s. I gather he surfs around Curl Curl these days.

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, Yes, I moved to the Gold Coast and then my son wants me back in Sydney to babysit so Im back at Manly. But I go back and forth.
I wasnt going to make any more boards but I think Im just naturally wired to think up ideas and then make them, I cant stop it.
I dont know Leigh but Ive never seen another paipo rider ever.
I kinda like that too, its exclusive.
What are you up to ?
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brett,

Lotsa work, plenty of stress and a bit of surfing is the menu at present. Time is also flying as I try to get organised for the overseas trip in June.

It is interesting to hear how many guys are riding some form of prone craft on the East Coast of Oz. In addition to the alaia riders I have heard of two guys around Cabarita who ride prone boards (of their own design), Ian at Yamba, yourself and Leigh in Sydney. I'm going to ask Leigh whetehr he would consider posting some of his stuff. The Waimea rides are classic and he sent me an ad for the 'Barracuda' that he was selling in 1967 - a ply paipo. Haven't surfed with any of these guys though I did catch up with Bongoman in february for some little waves at the Pass.

With lots of luck I am getting a bisectable board made for travelling and ideas whirling around for a flat speedster paipo based on one of my wooden boards.

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, if you talk to Leigh could you pass on my email address ( manfriday.au@gmail.com)
Ive never surfed with another paipo-o-phile and as hes in Curl Curl then its only 2 beaches away. Thank you, Brett.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: