rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Paper Trail...Paipo article by Skip Newell

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: The Paper Trail...Paipo article by Skip Newell Reply with quote

From the February 1970 issue of Surfing magazine, An article by Skip Newell titled, "Paipo: It's not how long you make it..."

Note: it starts as a two page spread, so the title runs across two pages.

Note: the only bellyboard/paipo ad from this issue was in the full page ad for Val Surf. No bellyboard photos. The SKS Bellyboard is listed in the checkbox ads for $44.95 and is described as "virtually indestructible."
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfing Magazine, May/June 1970, Vol. 3, No. 3
Trends Section, Paipo Series. "Paipo Part III: Wave Test," by Skip Newell, pp. 66-68. The article's pics and examples are mostly kneeboards.

EDIT: Now at a new URL
http://mypaipoboards.org/mags/magazines.shtml#Surfing_Action
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have access to the other articles in the series and can scan them? Please let us know. If not, I will try to reach out to a couple of people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have one other article in the series...if memory serves there were three (although I reserve the right to be wrong on that). I know I have the two shown.

Unfortunately if I do have a copy it's stored in a plastic storage bin and buried away for safekeeping, meaning I don't have a clue where to find it. It will have to float to the surface as projects get completed and old things come back to light. Can't give a timeline.

If people are doing this active a search for stuff, I'd love to see that one page article from surfer circa 1969-1970 about marine ply paipos. I think the cover was an either two or four part reflective image of a surfer. Too long ago to remember.

Nels
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it this one? Volume 10 #2 from May 1969. I don't have it, but the late sixties mags aren't too hard to find.

bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

The issue you just posted was 1969 - it would have to be #2 from1970.

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

Yeah, that's the one. I had it back in the day, loaned it in Malibu in the 70's, and lost it. Through the years I've looked for the article in what I have left from the era and haven't found it, so I'm pretty sure it's in there. Don't recall checking with Joe Tabler at Surfbooks.com if it was in there for sure. Never spent the money to get another copy. Also had an article by Dora about Santa Monica.

Dang, things were pretty wide open back then, eh? If we only could have had todays' materials and technology back then...well...wait a minute...we have them today...hmmmm...errr....
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels,

Do you mean the 1969 article had the marine ply paipo article? I can't see how it would have part II of the Skip Newell series which were dated 1970.

Never heard of Surfbooks.com - will have to check this out. Thanks

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Bob...getting sidetracked, completely different...was thinking how I can't track down a Surfing magazine that potentially has the missing one of the Newell series, reminded me of another MIA magazine article people here might enjoy. Didn't mean to confuse or hijack the thread.

By all means check Surfbooks.com. Joe Tabler is a bodysurfer etc. Business has been running for several years now, no bad experiences, not even any mediocre ones.

Nels
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can meander a little more while we're waiting for the next Skip Newell article. Back to the cover galleries....in Petersen's Surfing Magazine there are two with "how to" articles mentioned on the covers. Vol. 1, #4 has the skateboard project, and Vol. 1, #7 has the skim-board project. I suspect there could be a bellyboard "how to" article in that vicinity. Possibly in Vol. 1, #6 according to rumors.

http://www.surfbooks.com/petersenssurfing.htm

The collector club meets in Pacific Beach next Saturday. Maybe I can solve some of these mysteries then.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels & Poobah,

Keep up the good work - in the absence of any searchable database of surf articles your recollections are invaluable.

Checked out Surfbooks.com - US dollars make these mags & books real expensive.

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Zuma, bodyboarded slop but the weather is perfect, nobody out but me and the porpoises...first chance to get wet since late January (long story there but thankfully in the past now). SoI'm driving back and thinking about tihs thread and when I checked in again just now I had the image that the missing third article might have been more "historical" than particularly interesting...in my mind's eye I have an image of a black and white "historical" period drawing. No idea at all if that's correct.

Maybe if this bugs me enough I'll just start opening storage containers until I can settle it...but if the weather stays nice I doubt it. Wink
eef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic! thanks for posting that!

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The series is now posted on-line at:
http://mypaipoboards.org/mags/magazines.shtml#Surfing_Action

If anyone has a better scan copy of articles 1 & 2, please send it to me. Thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: