rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood Board and Vintage Photos

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Wood Board and Vintage Photos Reply with quote

Currently on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-1939-Paipo-belly-board-Photo-s-surfboard_W0QQitemZ220394628978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sport_Surfing?hash=item220394628978&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Belted bathing suits....hmmmm. And someone should check on that letter in the Sydney museum. Does the builder call it a bellyboard, paipo or surfboard?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the model shown here:
http://www.surfresearch.com.au/1934_Bellyboard_PopMech_Jul_p115_117.html

I sent an e-mail to Geoff, the keeper of Pods for Primates, inquiring as to whether he has a copy of the letter, and if not, if he could try to obtain a copy. Anyone from Sydney on the forums that could also follow up?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller wrote:

Original 1939 Paipo belly board & Photo’s surfboard

I bought this board from the original owner/maker about 10 years ago. With another which is now in the Sydney surf museum with a letter from the maker of this board. (Sorry I don’t have a copy of the letter)

This board is the first he made in 1939 and is made of sugar pine.

I was also able to get copies of photos of him and friends including his soon to be wife (holding the board) standing on Brighton beach. The pictures shown will be sold with the board.

In one of the photo’s he is wearing his khaki army short and was on leave from serving in the Second World War.

The Board is in original condition on the deck where the cross beams are. The bottom of the board had been partly sanded back showing the grain of the timber.

136cm long, 40cm wide in the front and 34cm in the tail, 12mm thick plus cross beams 2cm. 3.9Kg

But I think the slats are on bottom of the board. Two...possibly three surfboards in the photos appear to have nose handles on the opposite side from the slats. Of course you might ride it with slats up if you were towed behind a motorboat.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those slats must be pointed in the wrong direction! Just think if they'd been along the length of the board... original fins and channels.

Not sure where the idea for those slats originated. Seems like they would slow the board down and cause out-of-control turning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check back with Geoff in a couple of weeks - he is currently slammed preparing a paper for delivery on Sunday.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod & Poobah,

Apparently there is a surf museum at Manly. I'll send an e-mail to an address I found at:

http://www.soulsurf.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=117&nav_cat_id=145&nav_top_id=71&dsb=778

I'll also ask Surffoils if he knows them as he lived at Manly.

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

I could only locate one Sydney surf museum which operates out of Manly surf club. I just spoke to Ray from the museum and he is willing to look into this further. Can you provide me with the name & email address for the seller, either as a pm or as a reply to this message? If you want my email address to pass on, pm me.

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller just wrote back to me:

Hi Larry, I sold the other board about 8 years ago at a Mick Mock auction for $1800 and was told at the time it was going to a new surf museum in Sydney, the only one I know of is Ledgends Surf Museum. I live over 1000kms from Sydney so have not been to the Museum.
Hope this helps Thanks Simon
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

I think the Legends surf museum is in Coffs Harbour - about 415 km from Sydney and over 300 from me. Global Ernie who used to post on this forum goes there a bit so I'll ask him or try an e-mail.

I have sent the ebay email to Ray Moran from the Manly museum who is also looking into this.

regards

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

Have sent the details to the Surfing Legends museum. I also spoke to Scott Dillon over the phone - he runs the museum. He said he knew nothing of a letter though did have one bellyboard.

If the letter exists, it doesn't seem to be in a surfing museum in either Sydney or Coffs Harbour. There is a surfing museum in Torquay which I might try, though am not very optimistic.

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Deep pocket people Reply with quote

http://www.surfingcowboys.com/setofthvibe.html

This should get you to a "set of wooden bellyboards"...if not poke around until you see the listing. These guys also get other bellyboards from time to time.

May 29 today, never know how longit stays around.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the perfect board for some of my friends.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: