rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Paper Trail...Paipo Nui by Val Valentine

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: The Paper Trail...Paipo Nui by Val Valentine Reply with quote

From the October 1965 issue of International Surfing. The sixth issue (and one year anniversary) of this magazine.

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ads from the same magazine:

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Surfing Girl of the Month from that issue is paipo boarder and well-rounded waterwoman Nina Cherry.

HIpaipo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!!!!! Very Happy Always wondered if anyone ever dared to go out to Waimea on a paipo.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

Really interesting stuff, not only in terms of the Waimea story and the design angle but also the amount of space given to the story in a mainstream surf magazine.

Regarding the history of the term paipo, it is interesting that the advertisements refer to the paipo as a "new body planing board" and the other ads refer to "bellyboards", while Paipo nui is a brand name.

The real missing link seems to be what bellyboards were referred to pre 1950/1960 in Hawaii.

What other treasure do you have in the collection?

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we try to go back prior to 1960 we step into prehistory in terms of surfing magazines. Short films from the 1950's could provide some missing pieces to the paipo puzzle. Diary entries, newspaper stories, travel magazines, family photo albums, and things scribbled on postcards could also help with the history of the guitar pick paipo.

It's cool that Val was very specific about the date when John and his friend challenged Waimea. Too bad Val was so vague about the period from 1956 to 1963. Maybe we can fault the editor for that....as well as the cropped photo of John and his paipo. We don't get to see the tail of the board, because they needed room for....the club jacket advert. Arrr!

The ad for Paipo Nui appears only 2 pages after the article. Sadly it doesn't offer us any template shapes. Just the very cool graphic logo. I do have a Paipo Nui board of unknown age.

The logo is stenciled on with the same color as the stripe.

Here's a photo that has my modern red HPD XL leaning against my vintage Paipo Nui (orange bottom.) You can see how similar the shapes are. Both in the size and the trapezoidal angle. The biggest difference is the tail of my Paipo Nui curves out a little more than the HPD. The boards are separated by at least three decades, but the design survives thanks to woodshop teachers and other keepers of the flame.

This crescent tailed Paipo Nui was on ebay a few years ago. Of course it's possible the tail of the board was reshaped well after it was purchased.

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also too bad that Val didn't explain the name Paipo Nui. Maybe it's wide paipo. He does tell us it was a departure from what other people were riding at the time. I like the part about the real estate signs. I'd heard that before....that the readily available real estate sign was a design constraint for paipos. The signs may have stifled development until the guitar pick paipo came along. Well anyway...the History is still murky. We need more pieces of the puzzle. There is one date we know for certain. On July 7th, 1971 Tom Morey revolutionized the prone riding world with a piece of foam shaped....like a real estate sign. Wink

HIpaipo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the word nui in the hawaiian dictionary (written by Mary Kawena Pukui and Samuel H. Elbert) and the definition is Big, large, great, greatest, grand, important,and magnitude. Probably means "Big paipo" or "Greatest Paipo". However, I looked up the word Paipo, and did not find it. I also looked up the word Short in the English to Hawaiian section, and did not find the word Paipo listed.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIPaipo,

I was told paipo as a nickname was pidgin English rather than strictly a Hawaiian word.

I reckon you'd need to ask Hawaiian surfers aged more than 60 their memory of what paipo were called or if it was a word in use.

Last night there was a documentary on the history of surfing in Australia. I didn't notice any prone craft until footage from the 1960s, which featured a heap of surfoplanes.

Poobah's articles featured names of some of the people making the Newport paipo boards from the 60s. The advertisements didn't feature the word paipo (other than as a brand name), so if it is a historical term Hawaii is the place to enquire. Peter who provided the info on the Val's said he knew some old Waikiki beach boys and would ask them.

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think Paipo Nui was "big paipo," but when I saw the magazine ad I discovered the board came in a regular and a junior size. So I lean toward Paipo Nui as "wide paipo," because then the junior size board is little wide paipo rather than little big paipo. Could it be "fat paipo?"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: