rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Great Big Honking Paipo Gathering
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: A Great Big Honking Paipo Gathering Reply with quote

This is a long term plan but I think we need a west coast paipo gathering. Out of the 100+ members of the site about a quarter are listed as living on the west coast, mostly California. I know there have been a (few?) paipo paloozas in the past, but I don't know if there have been any on the west coast. I am in central California and would propose Sand Dollar/ Plaskett Creek as a plausible "middle of the state" location, Big Sur for those of you unfamiliar. It's where the Swaylocks gathering has been held in the past (also KSUSA). There are group camping spots available and pretty consistent surf at Sand Dollar and Willow Creek, but please any alternate suggestions, let's hear 'em. Whatever the location -I can organize - reserve spots, provide firewood, whatever. Dates, no particular idea - anytime from now to next fall, I am just trying to get an idea of how many would be interested and getting it on everyone's vacation schedule before we're all booked up for vacations.
Needless to say anyone living anywhere else that needs an excuse to visit, come on down.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. Timing might be tough for me this year but by all means move forward.
- Best for me is July and early August (I'm penciled in for a mid-July trip to N. Oregon so this would dove tail nicely.
- Mid-August through Sept is bad because that is our peak hurricane swell season on the East Coast of the USA, and warm waters for us. And, the week of Sept 12th is Cape Hatteras week.
- October is out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I like the idea of something in Big Sur...maybe even a (friendly) wood board competition to decide who gets to advance to Cornwall for the World Comps.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camping trip sounds like fun 2 to 3 days or so MRMIKE Cool
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: imin Reply with quote

sounds like fun. i'm going to be at Jalama sometime this summer, dont know when for sure, but if it doesnt coincide with that, i'm in.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good start. I think including our founder (Rod) is a pretty worthwhile idea so why not start with early August and work from there? I think 3-4 days centering around a weekend also makes sense. I will plan on reserving a group spot from Thurs-Fri to Monday, assuming that not everybody would want to stay that long, but could come and go whenever. Plaskett Creek for the time being. There is no gaurantee on the surf at that time but there's usually something. It's also within striking distance of a couple of other spots up and down the coast -from Andrew Molera to Morro Rock.
Wood board competiton, why not?
All you others from outside the area, the place we are talking about is Big Sur - OUTSTANDINGLY beautiful. So you might be able to convince significant others and family to come along. It's also about halfway between Los Angeles and San Franciso. Closest airport is probably San Jose. Hawaiians? Cornwalians? Are you going to come on over and show us how it's done?
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have breached the subject with my family, but a final decision will have to wait until early summer. I will, however, start lubing-up one of the old buses just in case.

Shane
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus?

Very Happy
Did someone say bus?

This is my paipo transporter. Mr. Mike, should there be priority parking for V-dubs at this event?
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably take the van my wife says the sq back is to loud mrmike Cool

baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage and Mr. Mike,

Very nice rides you both have. Thanks for sharing. I have always entertained the idea of owning a Squareback, but the right deal has yet to present itself. As for Double Cabs...well, had a '60 many years ago and sold it too soon. If it looked like yours, Kage, it would still be in my possession.

Provided that I'm able to convince the wife and kids to journey south, we'll either bring a '72 Westy or an '82 diesel Westy (I-4 gas now). I have a '65 Sundial and '68 Ghia mothballed in the chicken coop, but they'll have to stay home and keep the other fading hulks company.

All this said and I'll probably end up flying into LA and grabbing an Alamo mini-van. The farther north the event is held (Crescent City on up) the better the odds would be for me to make the trip. My kids are young.

Shane
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: xa Reply with quote

vnbm
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how true it is. that why I also have a honda MRMIKE Cool
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weekend of August 1st sounds good to me. I will try to make it... but remember, I don't walk on water, just try to glide along on my paipo Smile

Unless recruiting one or two local people for this trip is successful, and we can pool our luggage, I will be handicapped for camping since two bags is about all that can be managed with the airlines these days.

kage wrote:
Looks like a good start. I think including our founder (Rod) is a pretty worthwhile idea so why not start with early August and work from there? I think 3-4 days centering around a weekend also makes sense. I will plan on reserving a group spot from Thurs-Fri to Monday, assuming that not everybody would want to stay that long, but could come and go whenever. Plaskett Creek for the time being. There is no gaurantee on the surf at that time but there's usually something. It's also within striking distance of a couple of other spots up and down the coast -from Andrew Molera to Morro Rock.
Wood board competiton, why not?
All you others from outside the area, the place we are talking about is Big Sur - OUTSTANDINGLY beautiful. So you might be able to convince significant others and family to come along. It's also about halfway between Los Angeles and San Franciso. Closest airport is probably San Jose. Hawaiians? Cornwalians? Are you going to come on over and show us how it's done?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okeydokey. I was able to secure reservations for Friday and Saturday July 31 and August 1 for two regular adjacent (40 and 41 if you want to check) campsites at Plaskett Creek. That's two nights. I tried for a group site but they are all taken. It's possible there might be a cancellation, I will keep checking.

Two campsites will fit 4 cars and 16-20 people. We can probably get more but half of the sites are first come first serve, and when I get there on Friday I think I might be able to score another if needed. I think additional cars might be slipped in or park across the highway at sand dollar. I tried to reserve Sunday night also but they were fully booked that night... odd. Same thing though, if anyone wants to stay longer we would be in excellent position to pick up a walk in site. But go ahead and reserve more spots if you think they are needed.

So. Wax your boards. Pump up your coleman stove. Drop your drawers.
Whatever. It's on.
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage I just booked site 28 also. from july 30 to aug 1 we will be only 1 car and 3 people so if some body wants to come a day early they can stay in our site and for some over flow also MRMIKE
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: