rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hawaii Paipo Design SR vs XL

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Hawaii Paipo Design SR vs XL Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the SR and the XL?

Whats the diff, besides the XL being heavier and stiffer?

I mean, in handling....

http://www.paipo.com
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie,
I doesn't look like anyone has had the opportunity. Hmmm. Perhaps Mr. Lindbergh should make some boards available for folks to try at the national... at the annual... at the... Hey! There is no National Annual International Paipo Contest Gathering. Maybe there should be. Or is there? There were some Paipopaloozas I think before I started hanging around, maybe those count. Or is there anything in the offing?
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a note from him today...

He's toying with me...

Says they are very special - the SR's - for particular people with particular needs....

Isn't he clever, I'll have to order one ASAP!

$265.00

I think they must carve harder and maybe go faster...but, I could be wrong.

Better for tricks prolly.

Well, they are lighter and more flexible....

Anyway, I am deep into my taxes and am hoping to order a surfmat from Neumatic and a regular SR...

I got a pair of the new UDT's today....they look much better in person than in the pix....and the box is a keeper!!! Very exciting...am taking them to the Y pool tomorrow after work....

I don't know about anyone else - but - in so cal we are having these 2 inch waves hitting the sand - and that's it. God, the sight of it!! They are very sneaky - you cannot even see them at all - until that last second when they hoist themselves up and collapse on shore....The surfcams are a scream to watch in the mornings....Lake Pacific is in full swing, it's hilarous to see...the local surf report mentioned something about it being ok for napping on longboards....

Soooo, to the pool with UDT fins and a CamoTray from the commissary......
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consolations: the surf is no better on the East Coast. Europe/Africa, PR and east are the places to be.

My New Formulation UDTs are in the mail. Can's wait to touch and feel them by the end of the week. Probably won't get to try them out for awhile since I ordered Larges (need XL for cold water rubber fit).

There had been a couple of PaipoPaloozas in Oahu but none the last year or two that I am aware of. The contests were at Point Panic in combo with a Hardboarding contest. If one of these were to go off one can only guess that Calif would be the central location for most of the forum riders but Hawaii would be the place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the regular SR's.

They are lighter and are more "alive" than the XL's.

Poohba is the leader for the california paipoalooza....

The question is....and I will pose this in another thread...of it's own...

What is the best kind of break for paipo riding??

That determined, I guess we should look for a spot towards central california....

I didn't make it to the pool, am still working...

Tomorrow....
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off up here, best of the winter perhaps.6-8ft. clean multiple barrels.U.D.T.`s came yesterday, tried them this morning in a 4 knot rip at my favorite rivermouth,found them to be suprisingly comfortable, with a 5 ml. boot .The Dextra off e-bay showed up tonight,will wait till tomorrow to unwrap.Hanging around backstage, behind the curtain, has cleaned the hard drive.What a great week! Bet John is getting some too!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Paipo Palooza Reply with quote

We should definitely aim for some Paipo Paloozas this spring and summer. Maybe even an international Paipo Holiday. One thing for sure...I'm aiming for the Swayloholics Anonymous West 2004 Meeting that will probably be held in Big Sur in September. Nothing firm yet. I don't think John Mellor has picked any dates yet. I'd like to see the paipo riders have their own contingent at that surfcraft design weekend. Here's what they did last year if you don't know what I'm talking about.
http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/653.html
http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/654.html
http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/655.html
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swayloholics Anonymous won't be in the cards for me this Sept due to work and another longstanding 'Palooza down in Cape Hatteras. Last year our event coincided with the East Coast Kneeboard gathering, but with the Isabel swell filling in from day 1, I never got to hook up with that good bunch.

This year our GuidoPalooza is September 11 - 15, 2004, in Avon, NC -- not sure about the KUSA gathering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birdie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Poohbah....

And I am sticking to the boat idea, for at least one, as with all these new U.D.T's - any line-up will think we are skin divers....as we plop off the boat until.....they see us screaming past on paipo's.....the "what the....f&s6" looks will continue as we cheerfully tell them it's a Paipoalooza.

Can't wait....
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Paipo Design SR vs XL Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:
Has anyone tried the SR and the XL?
Whats the diff, besides the XL being heavier and stiffer?
I mean, in handling....

Well after riding my HPD XL Regular pretty, er... regularly the last couple of years I took my new SR Regular out in a decent west swell we got up here on Memorial Day. It's has the exact same shape as the XL and feels slightly lighter when you pick it up. When used as a bow plane to get under waves on the way out it is definitely easier to wrestle the nose up on the SR when preparing to the surface.

As to handling, there is a noticable difference when turning. I ride the thing with my "inside" hand on the nose and lift up wiith my other hand on the wide part of the board to initiate turns. It rides and planes like an XL but when turning it is a whole lot "snappier".

I watched a buddy of mine from the beach when he was riding it (he normally rides an XL) and when he initiated a turn halfway down the face (6' - 7') on the drop-in, instead of describing a nice long arc he shot back up to the lip at a pretty good angle and got some air as he went over the top and down the back of the wave. (Too bad. That right peeled for 50 yards. As I repeatedly tell him, he missed out on the wave of the day. Wink )

I think it really bends pretty far when you torque it into a turn and unloads a lot of energy when it snaps back. I could also see how it might break in half right down the middle in larger surf.

I think it is going to work out just fine for darting around on short period NW windswell closeout faces this summer.

Oh, it also stays put as least as well as the XL if you lose it in the soup. God, I just love not having to use a leash anymore!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: