rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Quiver...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: My new Quiver... Reply with quote

I am very pleased to have finished my Paipo Boards yesterday.

Since this will be the first time that I ride Paipo Boards, I decided to make two... each with different dimensions, in order that I can do comparative tests and see what shape board best suits me.

I am going to attempt loading the pics below. If you cant see them please suggest what I may be doing wrong.

Hope to test the boards this weekend, we have some swell coming...

Paipo On!!

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To embed a picture link from Picasa:

In the Picasa album, select your pic. Using Firefox (or another browser), right click on the picture and select View Image. The URL changes from the display within Picasa to the image by itself:

from: http://picasaweb.google.com/d2oheavywater/PaipoPhotos#5296629890739642738

to: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LUnnbciA_wE/SYFo0qhAoXI/AAAAAAAAAC4/gqhRpQ2iTIg/s512/OS%201.jpg

Copy the URL for the image only display (with the jpg extension).

Paste into the Forum message, highlight it and click on the Img button (or click the Img button, paste the URL, and click the Img button again).

Your end result will look something like this (without the "code markers"):

Code:
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LUnnbciA_wE/SYFo0l1HnNI/AAAAAAAAADA/SH48Nn_q740/s512/Paipo%201.jpg[/img]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the assistance! I can see the images now, so I assume you can also....?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charl wrote:
Thanks for the assistance! I can see the images now, so I assume you can also....?

Yes, I edited your post to fix the links per my instructions. Nothing else!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any comments on the Paipo's?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charl, there is such a wide range of paipos and my direct experience is rather limited to the foam, fiberglass and finned variety, so I am not in a real postion to comment other than it was a great idea to try two different templates.

What would be of interest are the vital statistics for both boards. This link will take you to a detailed metrics listing:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/Paipo-xx.html
Complete one sheet for each of your boards and I will post it to MyPaipoBoards along with the corresponding pic for each board.

Thanks!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like putting a nose handle on the flat plywood paipos. It allows you a firm grip on the nose, and can help prevent pearling the nose (sand the bottom edge of the nose after the nose handle is glued on.)

Here's an example of a nose handle on a mini paipo. The handle was made out of two thicknesses of the same 3/8 inch plywood that the paipo was cut from. This made the total thickness of the nose 1 and 1/8 inch before sanding. You could also use solid wood for the handle...something easy to shape like redwood or pine.

Note: you only ride with one hand on the nose...the other hand is on the side rail. Same thing for duck diving under the soup.
Charl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Guys.

I have been bodyboarding & bodysurfing for a long time, so am really keen to try these boards, since my whole 'philosophy' of wave-riding is being redefined.

I sealed the unpainted board with Marine Varnish & the other with Polyester Resin. Ideally I would like to use some kind of oil. I seem to recall reading somewhere on this Forum about 'Linseed' Oil if I recall correctly. Is that ok to use on plywood?

I appreciate all your help. I neglected to say so before, but I have gained so much understanding and ideas from being part of this Forum.

Great to have this kind of Brains Trust to be able to tap into.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: ev Reply with quote

nice green mixture to seal marine grade ply ONLY. or other solid woods.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2192801_simple-beeswax-wood-finish.html
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a previous thread on this forum about oiled paipos, and it contans some interesting links.

http://rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I didn't get into hemp oil in that thread, but that is something I started tinkering with last year. Sometimes hemp oil thinned with turpentine, and sometimes the hemp oil, turpentine, and a tiny amout of Japan Dryer. Mostly I've used my hemp oil blends as a penetrating primer coat(s) before I varnish. I've also sealed my cork decks with hemp oil....I don't varnish the cork.

Prior to prohibition in the thirties, paints and varnishes contained linseed or hemp oil. Their drying properties (iodine value) are similar. Market conditions...the seed price determined what sort of oil would be in your paint or varnish. Today politicians and fear mongers decide whether or not hemp oil is commonly used. It varies from country to country. For example...you can't grow industrial grade hemp here in the United States, but the seeds and oil are legal to process, buy, and sell. I use a Canadian hemp oil. Soap grade, not food grade.

The Emperor Wears No Clothes is an excellent book on the importance of hemp as a crop. Or simply Google seach hemp oil or hemp cloth, hemp paper, etc.

One drawback to oiling paipos with hemp oil....you may have some trouble at border crossings that use drug-sniffing dogs.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One drawback to oiling paipos with hemp oil....you may have some trouble at border crossings that use drug-sniffing dogs.

Leave it to the government to let their employees sniff drugs at work and punish the rest of us who really need to.
eef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: My new Quiver... Reply with quote

The look great! How did they go?

Eef

Charl wrote:
I am very pleased to have finished my Paipo Boards yesterday.

Since this will be the first time that I ride Paipo Boards, I decided to make two... each with different dimensions, in order that I can do comparative tests and see what shape board best suits me.

I am going to attempt loading the pics below. If you cant see them please suggest what I may be doing wrong.

Hope to test the boards this weekend, we have some swell coming...

Paipo On!!

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work charl MRMIKE Cool
Charl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
So I took the "Blue-Belle" on it's maiden voyage yesterday... WOW.

She's fast, so easy to 'duck-under' waves and very responsive. Waves were only about 2-3 ft, but clean and nice long rides. Weird to feel the flex and also some inverse movement.

I'll have to get used to catching waves though. I found it is quite difficult to swim into the wave to catch it (holding the board in front of me like a kick-board), but once on the wave she just took off.

I am keen to take her into some bigger surf sometime.... cant wait!

Thanks for your interest.
eef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charl wrote:
Hey Guys,

I'll have to get used to catching waves though. I found it is quite difficult to swim into the wave to catch it (holding the board in front of me like a kick-board), but once on the wave she just took off.

I use big dive fins to get up to speed when in deep water with slopey waves. The short fins seem to miss out on power in those conditions (at least with my legs) Very Happy

In the shorey i only use my short fins, cause the dive fins don't do sprints well.

greetings,

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: