rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing on the stoke.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Surffoils,

Where did you get that roll of carbon fiber cloth?

Been looking for something like that to possibly shape a waterhousing handle.

Cheers,
Michael
surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi r32,
If you fill out your profile better I can give you more accurate advice but if you are in Sydney you can get all sorts of carbon fibre, fibreglass, resins of all religions and a freaky variety of foam cores from F G I who are in Brookvale on the Northern Beaches.
Google F G I for a phone number and details, I think they have an online catalog but of course a personal visit will reveal a lot more.
Theres a guy there at the front desk with a missing finger called John who is a mine of info, decent fellow and not adverse to showing you shortcuts and how to make your dollar go further.
Now Im in Queensland theres a place called A T L who do a similar service covering similar products.

Apart from Sydney and the Gold Coast I dont know, but its easy to google around your area and scrounge up leads from surfshops if youve got the time and the inclination.
If you get stumped, post again and myself or BGreen or someone else will give you a hand.
Welcome to the forum mate.
global ernie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: HPD Reply with quote

bob, is the HPD epoxy?? will discuss soon perhaps. Have sanded of some of the read gel coat and it does have some thin foam inside, from memory on the site they are moulded and it appears the glass being used is 22oz woven rovings, heavy duty to say the least. back to coffs today, any swell up in Qld.
regards, global ernie
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

I don't know if a HPD is epoxy - how they are made is bit of a trade secret, though some form of mould is involved. Surffoils might know a way to tell what a finished board is made from. I was told never to drill into one - but the same advice probably goes for most boards.

I heard the surf was fun size, surfed on the Sunday before the swell got bigger/cleaner (the only reason I went was my wife was working down there for the morning). Looked smaller & buried by the high tide. Beachies looked ok but small. Not likely to get there until next weekend. If the wind has swung to the north again there is a great spot outside Coffs, where you walk down a big hill. A real gem.

Bob
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not epoxy, resin. I have my guesses about how it's put together but I'm sure it's not epoxy.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you what my HPD was made of. polyester resin 22oz matt and gelcoat. I could not get mine to work with me so I cut it down then sold it MRMIKE Cool

surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MRMike, I did remember that you said that you had cut one down. ...
Thanks for the information. Do you find the HDPs heavy ? Can you share how thick the neoprene deck skin is ?

I might try doing a ply skin ( top and bottom) with a foam core board, with a neoprene deck slick.....
r32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Surffoils. I'm located in California. I think I'm going to have to order up some of that cloth and experiment for a lighter and more durable waterhousing. I want to make the handle out of carbon fiber cloth.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: