rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opu Boards

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Opu Boards Reply with quote

Hey, one of my best vintage surf mags is the July 1968 issue of SURFER, with Corky Carrol tip-riding Cotton's on the cover...and on page 126 there's a Dave Sweet Surfboards ad which also pictures two "Opu" boards. "Opu," says the ad, is "Hawaiian for belly board." The two models pictured are called the "Concave Tunnel Hustler" and the "Step Deck Flexer." They're both twin-fin designs, and look really advanced for the period. Have any of you heard about these boards; anyone ever try one?
Also, what about this term, "Opu?" An alternative to the word "paipo?" This ad is the only place I ever saw the word "Opu" used...
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know at the time the term "bellyboard" and "paipo" were becoming interchangeable. Opu meaning stomach = belly...

Never got to ride one though. Sweet faded into the motion picture industry around then, as the other old companies were springing forth.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Opu Boards Reply with quote

Do they look anything like this board that was on ebay a while back. It didn't sell. And a bottom photo was never provided.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! That didn't sell? It looks mint! In the ad, they show top view and rear view - the tunnel hustler looks like it has a pretty flat deck and a whole heap of bottom concave. It also says something about these boards being the most advanced board design available (at the time). With the exception of Greenough's spoons, I would tend to agree, as everything else visible in mags of the period were pretty paleolithic by comparison. I'd like to find the person who has that for sale...
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Opu Reply with quote

It's not searchable on ebay any more, but maybe we could pull up the auction page if someone still has the link in an old e-mail from when the board was up for sale.
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Dave Sweet awhile back to inquire if he would make a bellyboard for me...

He has shaper working for him that makes his boards for him now.

Anyway, maybe if more people give it a go, he might be up for it.

Or, someone could email him for measurements, etc...

Cheers

Birdie
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seller is not responding.......move to plan B.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: