rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand board from recycled materials

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Hand board from recycled materials Reply with quote

I had a this broken Ikea box chest laying around and got inspired by a couple of the boards Thierry built. Here's where I'm at right now.

Busted wood lid:

Busted cardboard box:

Rough Shape:

Final Shape:

eef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! Did you try it yet?

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't tried it yet. I still have to make the handle and put a finish on it. I Hope to have it all done next week.
Thierry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you put a fin under the board or try a concave or something ?

Please post pics of it when it's finished. Smile
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a minor concave on the bottom so I think I'm going to go finless.
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more build pics... almost done!

mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the blue stain MRMIKE Cool
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with your choice of topcoat. The amber color of some oil-based spar varnishes doesn't go well with blue stains.
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah:
That is a really good piece of advice! I found that out on another board I was working on when I ended up with a greenish color... sort of. If I do a brilliant color dye, do you think I should go with a two part epoxy or polyester coat?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epoxey that Mike uses is really clear...at least to begin with. You can get it here in town from J. Greer http://www.jgreer.com/

I think for an oil-based varnish, you might try some of the interior stuff. A handboard isn't subjected to the same sun and weather as the cabin of a boat, so you can use interior varnish. I'm trying to remember a brand I used once that was pretty clear...I no longer have the can in my shed. I'm pretty sure it was the Minwax fast-drying interior oil-base finish: http://www.minwax.com/products/oil_based_clear_protective_finishes/fast_drying_polyurethane.cfm

For little boards, I make a tripod varnishing stand out of scrapwood and three 16 penny nails. Blunt the points on the three nails with a sander or grinder. Pre drill the three holes in the plywood stand, and then tap the nails all the way down. You rest the handboard on the blunted tips of the nails. Varnish one side of your handboard, flip it over while wet, then varnish the other side. You can avoid drippy, lumpy rails by varnishing the whole thing at once. The nails will leave three little marks in the varnish, but you can clean those up with wet/dry sandpaper.
Thierry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice concave and nice colour.
I agree with the varnishing tip Poobah gave you. That's what I did with all my handboards. You can avoid drops if there not too much varnish on the rails and it saves time as well.

Will you stick a handle or screw a strap to hold the board?
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to attach a handle instead of a strap. I put a handle on my last one and really liked it.
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to finishing. I can't wait to take it out! Here are some pics.

mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the art work MRMIKE Cool
eef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeatyBarrels wrote:
I finally got around to finishing. I can't wait to take it out! Here are some pics.

Looks really nice!! Great job!

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: