rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another new one

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: another new one Reply with quote

here is my latest board I just finished . paulownia wood with purple heart & popular for nose & tail block the board is 52" x 15"at the nose & 6" at the tail MRMIKE Cool

supergrom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very prolific... Shocked
The board looks really nice; I esp like the nose blocking.

How about a close-up of your tiki? Is it painted, or a decal?
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a closeup of the art work. it is painted on under the varnish with an airbrush MRMIKE Cool

bongoman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks beautiful Mike.

Can you give some idea of thickness through the board - from the rails through to the centre.

Can you share how you decide whether to oil or varnish a new board?

And in terms of design principles, how does a narrower tail alaia surf compared to a wider tail one?

I'm absolutely loving my Wegener alaia and the frictionless nature of the way it surfs. The speed and lack of drag is such a blast.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my boards on the thin side about 1/2" in the center 3/8" on the rails and 1/4' on the nose and tail. I have been makeing and rideing the longer boards for about 6 months now. I like the longer length (5 to 6ft) I like the way they smoke down the line and you can get almost your whole body on the board alot less drag. I varnish my boards then sand them with 600 wet/dry then oil when needed. The smaller tail is less drag and it make it a little easier to turn
MRMIKE Cool
bongoman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for the info.

I'm fresh from a session on my alaia and probably got the longest ride I've ever had on any surfcraft. Right now, the way I'm feeling I figure I could just ride alaia's for the rest of my life and be complete.

I'm trying to understand some of the design principles with alaias particularly how the length of a board affects performance.

How would a 5' alaia compare to a 6' board say? Just curious and hoping to pick your brains...
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I know witch is not a whole lot a longer board is faster to a point with a longer board you also have more drag so you got to see witch is right for you a bigger person might want a 6 footer. also a longer board is harder to turn and put in the car. I weigh about 180lb and am 5'9" tall a 5 footer works good for me a 6 footer seems a little long my legs hit it when I kick out . MRMIKE Cool
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongoman,
Have you checked out the Tom Wegener Alaia Project DVD?
Very Interesting Stuff .
You ought to get in touch with Tom, he's got tons of insight on the subject.
bongoman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I bought a Wegener alaia and had a bit of contact with Tom both pre- and post-sale. He lives up the coast from me, north of the border in Queensland.

I love Tom's quote on his website that if he were to start his surfing life all over again, he would just choose a 6' alaia and a pair of swim fins 'for the big days'.

I suppose I better go order his alaia DVD Smile
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike:
Is working with the paulownia wood anything like working with balsa? I've read a fair ammount about the wood and I'm getting ready to order some for a new board.
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost like balsa I little harder but a strighter grain works well with hand tools but watchout you don't get too thin easy to do when you only got 1" to work with I love this wood I am going to make one like my oak board out of it MRMIKE
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: