rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bellyboard Designer/Shaper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulglider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Bellyboard Designer/Shaper Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a bellyboard designer/shaper in the soul cal area that "truly" understands? i'm not talking about a surfboard maker perse, though i'm not opposed to using someone like that as long as they have had first hand experience, either riding one or has worked very close to and with a bellyboarder. i know this is a long shot but...i do have a board i've been riding for the last year thats a pretty good copy of a vintage bellyboard. this thing is fast and somewhat manueverable but, i want something that is very fast and very manueverable! if standups can have something that is both, why cant we? thats all i'm asking. to see the board i'm talking about go to http://facefirstandoverhead.blogspot.com/
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in coronado and have been biulding belly/ paipo boards since 1963 but now I only do wood boards by order only.I do have two boards made out of broken surf boards I don't make boards out of foam anymore {too toxic } only use S glass and epoxi over wood. If you want to look at some I have on hand call me (619)435-5981 the pics don't do them right and I will let you try some and have some fun MRMIKE Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Sologlider Reply with quote

Solo,

The link below doesn't answer your question about shapers but the following recent thread on rails on Swaylocks contains more info than you could read in a couple of weeks - the post by Oneula has stacks of links on design.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=378194;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=18813247

Typing in "speed", "increasing speed" & "going faster" generates stacks of hits.

regards

bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the shapers in San Diego there has to be somebody who's in tune.
You should ask on Swaylock's.
http://www.swaylocks.com/index.html
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time Orange County surfer/shapers Ron Romanosky or Dean Cleary can build you a nice bellyboard:

http://www.romanoskykneeboards.com/

http://www.deanclearysurfboards.com/

Both these guys have been into alternative wave riding vehicles since the Newport/Greek/El Paipo days in the sixties and Ron will make you a nice padded custom fit bag for your board too.

Ron made me a nice bellyboard tuned to a particular Orange County break and he can custom foil fins..
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to put a plug in for Austin Saunders of Virginia Beach. He shaped and glassed his very first paipo for me just over a year ago and at the same time made one for his father (a stand-up and bodyboarder). Then Austin deviated a bit from my template and built a board that I will characterize as a fiberglass bodyboard. Then he shaped some boards for walk-in customers and local surf shops, one for his glasser and several orders from around the USA, mostly based on my design.

Some people are riding single fin, twin fin and thruster type set-ups. Hopefully he has been able to get good feedback from his users.

At last count, Austin was up to around two dozen paipos in the past year. And what other waveriding vehicle builder advertises a paipo on his web page?
http://www.austinsurfboards.com/surfboards.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
I will have to put a plug in for Austin Saunders of Virginia Beach.

The query was for a shaper in Southern California.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaipoJim wrote:
rodndtube wrote:
I will have to put a plug in for Austin Saunders of Virginia Beach.

The query was for a shaper in Southern California.

Well, sort of... it was actually for "soul cal," but is there any soul in Southern California??? Twisted Evil So... a friendly referral to soul va Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: thanks fellers! Reply with quote

i've ridden deans and romo's. great boards for the wedge and heavy type waves. found them a little too stiff for my liking-preference rules! i've seen pic's of austins boards (they are indeed beautiful) but I havent seen anyone around riding them. i've seen a couple of standies on craigslist san diego but...i wanna hear how they ride or try one first. i did buy a cool little reshaped longboard paipo from mrmike last week. rode it in 3-5' fast peelers this past weekend. BY FAR-the fastest little screamer i've ever ridden. i've ridden everything but a true paipo in the past (thought they looked to thin and weird for a guy my size) and i didnt want to drop 4+ on a HPD just becuase he says they're the best thing on the planet. I AM SOOOOOO FREAKIN STOKED! THANKS MR MIKE! i've been strugglin with kneeriding the last couple of years. bad shoulders, knees, lower back and neck prob's have really taken the joy out kneeriding yet, and although, i really dig riding prone i've still considered myself a kneerider who rides prone sometimes, at least until i rode this thing and started to face the facts no matter how i ride or what i think of myself i really do love the feel and the exhileration of sliding down the face and dropping into a tube riding prone, waaaayyyyyy more than i do either standing up or kneeling-sooo much more soul! so thanks brothers for the direction. my kneeboard shaper Ned McMahon (of Homeblown US) is in the process of making me a board as we speak. after some good advice from Bob Green i contacted Ned to talk about the ideas. He was completely stoked. He says he loves to create new stuff like this and after shaping over 30,000 boards for T&C and Encinitas surfboards he knows a thing or 2 about hydrodynamics and the good end of a planer. sometimes you never know until you start asking questions, thanks again!
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... if you are in Encinitas, you must try out some of Terry Hendrick's creations (e.g., the hydrofoil paipo). He knows a few things about hydrodynamics, too.

Austin's boards are not flexi. The fiberglass paipos tend to be rather stiff. However, you could try a fiberglass with a modified flex tail, similar to a Greenough spoon, or some of the other flex tail boards out there over the years. A bit more complicated to make then your everyday glass board, not not insurmountable for a good shape/glass shop.

You might also be able to pick up some paipos at the Leucadia Surf Shop. The owner, Geoff, may just have the largest collection around (mostly dating from the 60s and 70s).
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you like it. what I say is try it first then if you like it buy it. I baught a hpd two years ago I thaught it was going to be great but our 3 to 5 ft wave around here it did not work so well. it was to big for our smallish waves. It may cook on larger waves we only get them 2 or 3 times a year. so I took mine and cut it down. mrmike Cool
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: wow! Reply with quote

WOW! terry hendrix is waayyyy to smart for me. i'm just trying to get something fast an maneuverable! like the computer, i can use one but, i'd never be able to understand how to make one, let alone build one. one smart feller for sure. i dig what he's saying, i just dont understand what he's saying...thanks for the info.

Soul Gliding Neanderthal
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rod...I'm making a fast pass through here at the moment but don't I recall you knowing somebody down San Diego way who made some paipos? I want to say Green Room surf shop or something like that...this goes back a few years.

BTW, Rod...you know I'm from Southern California, and I drip soul from every pore...or maybe I'm from Lower Central California?...I get confused...

Nels
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Hey Rod...I'm making a fast pass through here at the moment but don't I recall you knowing somebody down San Diego way who made some paipos? I want to say Green Room surf shop or something like that...this goes back a few years.

BTW, Rod...you know I'm from Southern California, and I drip soul from every pore...or maybe I'm from Lower Central California?...I get confused...

Nels

Yeah, Nels, I thinks you are from Lower Central California Wink

The Green Room shaper is the now infamous fish maker, Rich "Toby" Pavel. Never did get a board made because he was swept up in the fish frenzy, but he still might be game. Poobah is buds with him so could probably fill you in better.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod you are too kind. As I recall you waited two years for a board, and then asked to get your deposit back. I've read similar complaints from other people that posted on Swaylocks. I no longer recommend that shaper for custom boards, because of the lead time issues. Sometimes I will rattle off a list of names of well-known shapers, like Romo, John Mel, Joe Blair, etc. to steer folks in the right direction. But I also encourage people to test ride and borrow boards as much as they can.

When this thread first started, I thought I might stay out of it. I was tempted to post that Soulglider might want to try a smaller board. So that is my advice now if he hasn't done much test riding on the shorter end of things. I've got a Newport Stub Vector twin fin that would be a good place to start. Plus I've also got my new cork deck prototypes....cork is the new red meat as far as I'm concerned.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: