rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

uk bellyboards

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corduroysurf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: uk bellyboards Reply with quote

Hey guys , Im new on here , did post but it seems to have not gone on ? ..
Im trying to put together a little book on bellyboarding in the UK .. i have a blog
http://pronetobelly.blogspot.com
which will hopefully be a running commentary on the book as it shapes up ?!
Theres a link on there to the Champs amonst others ..
I used to have a shop in Newquay called Revolver & still make the odd traditional stand up board but have always been fascinated with the other side !?!
Please, please ,please guys .. anyone who has any stories , experiences to do with this sport of ours please get in touch .. the book is about people not just a historical narrative ..
Look forward to hearing from you ..
Thanks
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Things to Come" or a chapter on the "Lone Wolf." There's bound to be a few lone wolves over there. Prototypes are relatively easy, because the boards are small and sometimes simple plywood.

Lately I've been sealing my wood/cork hybrids with hemp oil. It's comparable to linseed oil, but makes a better poitical statement...the United States is the only industrial country in the world where it's illegal to grow industrial grade hemp.
corduroysurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos & reply .. you're right .. the joy of these boards is the relative simplicity involved i making them & thus discovering new shapes etc .. Ive found so many weird & wonderful versions over here some of them dating back to the 1920's ! I'll post them as i can .. my blog should see a few posted too .. & im gonna go try hemp oil instead of linseed ..
thanks
john
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know if you find anything about Scouts and bellyboard surfing. Is bellyboarding somewhere in an old UK Boy Scout handbook? Was there a "surfing" merit badge? A how to project?
eef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: uk bellyboards Reply with quote

Hello there,

i just checked out your blog and love it! Fantastisc pictures of all this oldschool bellyboarding. Very VERY inspirational. Keep it up, and looking forward to your book!

Eef
The Netherlands

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own living room, I recently discovered a copy of Poldark's Cornwall by Winston Graham. It's from about 1983, and it has many fine pictures of Cornwall, but no boards. He seems to have been more interested in bodysurfing, but he does mention that the rest of his family used "the normal wooden board of Cornwall." There is also mention of the safer alternative of a "short rubber li-lo such as they use in South Africa." (Page 96.) I wonder if he's referring to a Surfoplane or something similar.

Well anyway...I was wondering about several things, like are bellyboarders only tolerated at Chapel Porth one day out of the year for their contest? And how can one visit without adding another car or caravan to the roads? What about combining the elements of the Cornish coastal walking tour with a bellyboard vacation. Is is possible to stay at just one B&B and walk to several beaches suitable for wave riding? Or are the distances too great? Maybe a walking bellyboard tour that visits two or three B&B's?
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the group I have been makeing my boards now after a design from the 1930s they seem to work well sometimes biulder over look the past MRMIKE Cool
[/img]
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,
In answer to your question, there are many fine beaches all within easy walking distance of Chapel Porth. In fact, at low tide, it's joined up to another fine surfing beach called Porthtowan. There are also many tucked away coves where you can score a wave and get away from the crowds. There are plenty of B+Bs in the area. I think your idea of a walking/belly boarding tour is a goer but if you hired a push bike it would be even easier.

jon
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there some coastal trails where bicycles aren't allowed? Or it's just unridable? I wouldn't want to piss off any of the local bodysurfers...some of those guys look kinda rough:

http://www.ukbellyboys.com/profiles.php
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are allowed on all of the coast path. The problem is much of it is impossibly steep and rough - more suited to hiking. There is a very pleasant coast road and cycle trail slightly inland of the path where this is the case though. As for the local bodysurfers - their bark is worse than their bite - and I went to school with their older brothers, so any trouble and you know who to call!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: