rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paipo action pix from this morning

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Paipo action pix from this morning Reply with quote

A pretty good size swell for this time of year arrived. It was very hazy so these shots are a bit overexposed.

ted

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

That looks like fun. Are you riding an HPD?

Ted
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ted wrote:
Are you riding an HPD?

That's not me, I was behind the lens, but yes that is an HPD. Which, btw, did not stay in the rider's hands when this macking closeout caught up with him!

bgreen

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

In some of those photos it looked like the guy riding didn't have his upper body in contact with the board but was being held off the board by his arms with the first point of contact being his hips & his legs were in the wave.

Is this just an illusion or how the board was being ridden?

Was this the same guy standing up?

Bob
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
In some of those photos it looked like the guy riding didn't have his upper body in contact with the board but was being held off the board by his arms with the first point of contact being his hips & his legs were in the wave.

Is this just an illusion or how the board was being ridden?

Yeah he's going for maximum leverage on the board. It also looks like it's falling away from him on the drop a little bit.

Personally I like to hold the board away in front of me when taking off in order to get my legs and fins fully submerged for maximum thrust and usually use one of my arms for paddling too. Once I start to catch the wave I simultaneously slde the board under me and put my leading hand (the one on the side I want to turn into) on the nose with my forearm resting along the inside rail. I grab way back on the outside rail with my other hand and pull up while shifting my weight to my inside elbow and hip.

The downside to this style is that you can get a pretty serious jolt from that leading arm's elbow up through the shoulder if you freefall down a face when it starts to get into the overhead range size wise. I get my chest down on the board when trimmed for maximum speed down the line but often get up off the board when wrestling it around as a sort of infinitely adjustable bow plane for more radical maneuvers like sharp turns or getting around sections out in the flat.

I'd also add that while the guy in the pix will reach back with the outside hand for turning he rides with a more symmetrical hand grab with both of his hands holding the rails a way back from the nose so he is usually off the board even more than I am but that has its disadvantages.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ,

Thanks. Video footage would really bring to life what you are describing.

Got any pics of the sharp turns you describe. I have really only seen pictures of planning/bottom turning HPDS, so the turns & how you do them interest me.

Bob
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
I have really only seen pictures of planning/bottom turning HPDS, so the turns & how you do them interest me.

Paul has a lot of pics on his site. There's one labeled HARD TURN that shows someone pulling up on the outside rail. Everyone pulls up on the rail and pivots off the inside corner don't they? The board is designed to roll on the chine and sink the inside corner. I don't imagine it actually works any other way. It seems to me the only real variable is leading/inside arm/hand placement.

How do you turn yours?
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ,

I went through a quick tour of the photos on http://www.paipo.com/html/indexFrame.html

They are essentially bottoms turns (and some very radical on-rail ones at that), takeoffs or planning in the pit.

I don't surf my HPD enough, but my guess is a combination of weight on the corners , elbow weight and guiding the nose with the front hand - this is influenced by how I ride the board I mostly surf which has a rope handle on the deck which is held and pulled and pulled - combined, with elbow leverage and weight pressure over channels.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: