rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advices for beginning paipo boarding ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thierry

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Advices for beginning paipo boarding ? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I've built my first wood paipo with a piece wood I found. (I'll post pics as soon I have a new camera)

The whole board has no rocker at all, I just sanded a bit underneath the nose to have some sort of nose rocker and removed a bit of the thickness at the back to make channels.

Do you have any advice to give me for riding that board ?
Ted said his debuts in Samoa were painful and yet he seems to be quite experimented. I'd like to avoid some mistakes you don't do when you you know what you're doing.
What are the differences compared to riding a foam bodyboard ?
What are the effects of neutral bouyancy on riding technique ?

I suppose you push on the nose when taking off but then do you stand on the back of the board when taking the drop not to dive with such a straight board ? And what about turning ?

Thierry
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour Thierry,

There is no simple answer to your questions. The specifications of your board and tpes of waves you ride will all contribute to how things go.

Angling on the take off reduces nose diving, pressure on the tail corners /weight further back helps turning and control. My first few attempts were disastrous to say the least. If you have got leg conditioning and have used fins before, it will make things easier.

Where are you in France? I will be staying at Le Porge for a week in late July & hope to bring a paipo with me. Then off to Paris for a week. Haven't worked out which one yet as I am still trying to locate a freight company to ship a board from Spain. Could catch up for a surf if you had time.

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ted said his debuts in Samoa were painful and yet he seems to be quite experimented. I'd like to avoid some mistakes you don't do when you you know what you're doing.
What are the differences compared to riding a foam bodyboard ?
What are the effects of neutral bouyancy on riding technique ?

Thierry,

You are best off trying something new at one of your regular surf spots where you know the wave. (I think I have this right) Ted was visiting Samoa...new spots are enough of a challenge without trying new equipment too.

In my opinion the biggest difference between a bodyboard and a paipo is in bouyancy. Depending on your material/thickness/design measurements you will still have some flex, but swimming out, catching a wave, and riding are based on the planing surface of the paipo. A paipo catches waves much easier and generally they don't stay with the wave and whitewater in a wipe out. I don't believe you can do the advanced bodyboard manuevers, but bodyboards can't go as fast as paipos. This is the kind of thing where the first time you take it in the water everything starts to become much clearer, immediately.

It occurs to me that even though paipos have been around literally forever, the lack of interest in them probably means the performance limits haven't even been approached, much less met.

Nels
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aloha Thierry:
The best way I have learned, is to hold the board out in front of you and when the wave starts to pick you up slip the board under you body and you got to kick like a shark is chasing you. When you turn drive the inside rail down into the wave, right rail turn right, left rail turn left. This will become second nature. start small then work up. Paipos boards work well on smaller waves also. With a neutral bouyancy board it is like trying to water ski without a boat. you got to get it moving to make it work. but when they get going they can be faster than surfboards. and your face is only 1" from the water
ENJOY THE RIDE MRMIKE Cool
Thierry

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all of you for those answers.

First I have to say the board is very stiff, I will not count on flexibility to turn it (hope the channels will help). Maybe I'll store it with something very heavy on it to give it some kind of curve.

bgreen, alas I live near Paris and Le Porge must be a good spot but far from my home. I only surf during holidays (in a month time, in a part of Normandy facing the Atlantic) and a few week-ends.
I'll also try my lastest handboard for the first time, so plenty of experimentation coming !
I swim once a week with and without fins so hopefully I'll be fit enough to kick hard when the shark will chase me on take offs .

Nels, don't you think that the pics of HPD Paipos at Pipeline prove that paipos have very high potential performances ?

Thierry
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry you can put a small block of wood (about 2") under the nose then clamp or weight the rest of the board down then pour lots of hot water on it ever day for a week then let it sit for a week or so this will put a small rocker in the nose MRMIKE Cool
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nels, don't you think that the pics of HPD Paipos at Pipeline prove that paipos have very high potential performances ?

I think everybody probably agrees the HPD paipos are state-of-art manufacturing and materials for traditional Hawaiian paipo design. That said, do current HPDs have twice the performance of a marine plywood shop class paipo ridden in those waves in 1969? (I've been around a while)

I don't know...but from a purely visual point I don't see a huge difference.

"Performance" in this period is generally defined through manuevers, and when I made my comment I was thinking about paipos when compared to bodyboards. I'm not sure about paipos being able to to facilitate El Rollos, ARS, and some of those acrobatic moves. Which doesn't mean they can't, just that I don't know if anybody has been doing them. Certainly no pictures.

So I would say there is plenty of room for expanding performance there. I like the glide and spped, and already have enough aches and pains, so I won't be doing it.

Nels
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry,
I agree with Mr. Mike's description of technique. The only thing I would add is that the flexibility you use on a bodyboard for speed control and taking off is repaced by shifting your body forward and backward on the much stiffer paipo board. Get used to the idea that you will be shifting your position during the ride. A lot. My experience anyway. Good luck.
Thierry

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In those HPD paipos, everything (outline, rails, nose, deck, materials and responsiveness) seems to be refined and the pics show he got it right.

I will not try to do acrobatic moves either with a wood board. I will only enjoy the speed and hope to be able to do big bottom and top turns if waves allow.
ted

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HPD does seem to have great potential: it goes like a rocket and holds a high line really well. Speed control, steering and trimming are much different than a bodyboard. Some things, like sniping a late takeoff from the shoulder, are easier on a bodyboard.

Sign me: "HPD newbie"
dksnap

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that steeper takeoffs in hard offshore conditions are a lot trickier on the HPD, due to the lack of flex. But it probably has a lot to do with my ingrained habits from bodyboarding (i.e. pulling up on the nose). I'll have to work on shifting my position more. I think the HPD would be killer on a long point break. I hope at some point I get a chance to ride one. As far as the modern, advanced bodyboard manuevers, I've read that Mike Stewart rides an HPD on occasion. I'll see if I can find the article again.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an HPD paipo...my big traditional design one "Alien Gonzalez" is made from 1/4" pr 3/8" birch plywood...it has plenty of flex, much more than a bodyboard. I have a smaller, I thnk it is 18" pine mini-paipo that has no flex whatsoever.

As with riding a mat I also usually have a bit of struggle with ingrained bodyboard habits, beginning with hand placement. If I recall correctly old school paipo riders used to practically shift from one rear corner to the other to turn (depending on their direction). One hand was frequently way down the outside rail. Some of that carried over into bodyboarding and is still there in the better performers.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK,

I believe Tom Wegener has also been working with Mike Stewart on a Mike Stewart alaia model.

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of the board Nels just mentioned...

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/alieng01.jpg
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Bonjour Thierry,

There is no simple answer to your questions. The specifications of your board and tpes of waves you ride will all contribute to how things go.

Angling on the take off reduces nose diving, pressure on the tail corners /weight further back helps turning and control. My first few attempts were disastrous to say the least. If you have got leg conditioning and have used fins before, it will make things easier.

Where are you in France? I will be staying at Le Porge for a week in late July & hope to bring a paipo with me. Then off to Paris for a week. Haven't worked out which one yet as I am still trying to locate a freight company to ship a board from Spain. Could catch up for a surf if you had time.

Bob

My son and I stayed near Lacanau/Lacanau Ocean for about a week in late July 1999 and then headed up to Paris for a week of baseball and touristing (my son played on a USA Sister City team of Cergy Pontoise). We rode the Lacanau Norde waves, Carcans-Plage just to the north, and one day at a spot further north near the cape. We had a wonderful time after some cultural adjustments Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: