rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My favourite bellyboard.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Yes, I'm aware of your blog. In fact, I tried to add a comment about looking forward to your forthcoming book but I wasn't able to. Something to do with signing up. It all got very complex and wouldn't do what I wanted, but anyway, I'm very much looking forward to the book! Good luck with it. Let us all know when it's available. I imagine there will be plenty of others interested as well.
Cheers,
Brooky.
corduroysurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooky ,
Im stoked you know about the blog , i'll try & post updates as they come .. look forward to meeting you at Chapel in Sept ..
all the best
john
Brooky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,
I'd very much appreciate some details of the Wegener 5'4" paipo you tried on your Aussie trip. I'm trying to source a piece of Paulownia wood to make one of my own.
Strangely, in this country, the most likely source for planks of paulownia is your local undertaker as it's often used for making coffins. A lid would do nicely!
I'm after bottom shapes, rolled or flat, any nose rocker, rail contours, that sort of stuff.
Love the poster on your blog by the way. That would look fabulous as a big sticker on my VW surf bus!
Brooky.
Goodwood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Palouwnia Wegener Dimensions are as follows.
44" X 15 1/4" X 1/2". very minimal nose lift which has been sanded in.
Flat Deck with slight roll near the tail. Slight rolled bottom.
The rails on edge are Square only tapering due to the roll in deck and bottom. The template has slightly curving rails looking almost parallel but not. Sealed only in Linseed Oil. Glued in three pieces. The board is extremely light and strong, holds a fantastic edge in the wall.
Personally I prefer heavier timbers in the water.
Brooky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Goodwood. Plenty there to be going on with. The one thing that surprises me is that the board is glued up in three strips. I thought they were a solid single plank but I guess with this method you end up with a board that's less prone to warping. Although I thought that resistance to warpage and splitting was one of the particular qualities of Palouwnia (suspect my spelling; Paulownia, was wrong!).
Those dimensions are great but you only mention one width. What are the nose & tail widths respectively?
Cheers, Brooky.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wegener board is a both longer and wider than the standard model. 5' long, tail is about 15 7/16' wide. Widest point is 18 3/4 about 18' from the nose.

Nose is 13 cm from the floor, tail is only about 2.5 cm from floor. I used cm here because I had trouble reading the small measurements (am avoiding glasses). Is thickest at the tail - about 15cm thick at thickest point, rail about 6 cm.

Goodwood, why do you prefer the heavier timber?. You may well be a lot more paddle fit than me and not mind the extra effort involved, though I imagine they would sit a bit very slightly lower in the water when ridden and give a closer to the water feel.

Brooky, the boards plane really well, though I haven't really the board enough, partly because if the surf is solid or there is a sweep, I find it easier (= I get more waves) on my other board,

Bob
Brooky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowsa! 15cm thick!!! 6cm rails!!! Please tell me you mean mm!!

Brooky.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooky,

I'm hopeless at metric stuff. It is probably mm.

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4 inch at the rails, or for you Egyptian shapers...slightly less than 1/3 of a digit.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold it! Back up..............
Quote:
That would look fabulous as a big sticker on my VW surf bus

What year? I am a 67 crew cab, rear seat being ideal for paipos and kneeboards, the bed in back for camping gear and occasional bed.
Brooky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kage,
Don't get too excited mate. Mine's 20 years younger than yours. Type 25
wasserboxer. What you guys call a Vanagon I think. Mine's set up for longboards and sleeping. This basically means there's a full-size double bed in the back on which I lay all the boards!
Your bus sounds terrific. I'd love a splitty but they're just too damned small! Still, converting to a smaller type of board will give me a good excuse to get one!
I have got a '58 Beetle & a '67 Automatic Beetle though.
Brooky.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 67 square back and a 82 van non waterboxer love them both been working on them sense I was a kid (long time ago) MRMIKE Laughing
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is a VW thread, as well. I've been thinning the herds, but still have a '65 Sundial camper, '72 Westfalia, '82 diesel Westfalia and a '68 Ghia.
Brooky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we seem to have gone off topic a bit. Sorry if I started it Mr. Moderator!

That's a fine time-line of campers you have there baidarka. If you feel like thinning out the Sundial I'm your man!

Mrmike, I spotted your lovely squareback near the top of this thread hiding behind your cool new paipo. They compliment one another very nicely.

Brooky.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: