rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skim Paipos

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Skim Paipos Reply with quote

I have one of these vintage skim/paipo combos. Don't know much about it. I think I've seen them with some sort of Hawaiian decal, but I can't find any old photos in my files. Measures about 32" x 24" and I'm sure it's no coincidence that you can cut 6 of them out of a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood with little wasted wood.

I'm assuming that it's meant to be both a skimboard and a paipo. Notice in this bottom photo that the chine doesn't go all the way across the tail.

In 1972 Mattel came out with a skimboard for their Ken doll. Notice the similarity in both the template and the blue stripe. Sadly though it doesn't look like Ken rode it paipo style. He would much rather skimboard, because then he could still wear a shirt and sunglasses. Maybe lift a dumbell while he rides, or listen to his transistor radio. P.S. Hey, no offense to any skimboarders out there...I'm just baggin' on Ken.

eef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the shape of those boards!

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does the Ken board evolve from a Hawaiian alaia? Or maybe the length and width of the old skim/paipos was influenced by the size of recycled real estate signs? Wink
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "ken" board. Heh heh.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: