rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope to have a few weeks in Europe (July/August) 2008. At this stage I am getting ridiculous prices from airlines to carry a paipo ($1800) from Australia. Iberia will then charge nastily, on top of that.

One option would be to see if I can buy/borrow/rent a new/used one over there and just leave it in Europe. Does anyone have suggestions regarding someone in one of these countries who could make a paipo or ides them. I start in Portugal, so someone there would be my first choice.

regards

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a blunt-nose plywood paipo that fits inside your largest suitcase?

Maybe buy a new or used skimboard in Portugal. Check out the Hawaiian model on this web site (Loures, Portugal.)

http://www.folhaskimboards.com/bz_foam_uk.html
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France Reply with quote

Poobah,

Thanks. I have sent off an e-mail to them. Will see what happens.

Bob
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1800!!! Whaaaa?
Get a bag custom made for your HPD and don't tell them what's inside. Or tell them it's for therapy or something. Which is kind of true.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France Reply with quote

Hello Kage,

I haven't got around to ringing Swiss Air direct. QANTAS seems to differ according to whom you speak.

Definitely therapeutic. I thought that if I took the wooden board, it is aan historical replica.

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a surf mat!
You won't find a more portable surf vehicle.

http://www.edgespoon.com/4thGear/
http://www.surfmat.com/

mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB: when I went to hawaii I put my paipo in a soft suit case put clothes around it and just checked it got there and back ok. No exter $$$$$$
MIKE Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France Reply with quote

Uncle Grumpy - I have ordered a mat. This is plan B (I am working on a number of plans). I have never ridden one since I was 16, and this was only shorebreak stuff. So before I bank on traveling half way around the world I have to learn how to ride one (which I gather can be a challenge (people talk about unlearning other modes of surfing to successfully ride a mat).

Mike - a classic story. If I was travelling within Oz, your strategy is a fun one. I am not so sure about international travel - I don't think I am too keen to get pulled up as I am about to fly from France about the strange object in the suit bag.

I am exploring all options that crop up, so thanks again.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob you could send it on ahead via DHL,UPS, FEDEX, or other international post, For $1800 I would make you 2 boards and send them anywere you want. what a bunch of s**t you could buy your board its own seat for less
MIKE Cool
Thierry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob,

If you want to have a paipo shaped to your specification in Europe, you can contact Alexandre (I don't know his name) aka LOB (on Swaylocks) who makes beautiful boards and is interested in anything other than the traditionnal performance thruster, so why not in a paipo.

his site : http://www.barrelsurfboards.com/index3.php. You can write to him in english in the "formulaire de contact". He lives in France and has connections in Portugal (msdsurboards)
To see some of his boards : http://barrelsurfboards.blogspot.com/

I'm quite sure he would be glad to help you even if he has has no financial interest in that.

Thierry
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France Reply with quote

Thierry,

Thanks. I will check this option out as well. After Spain, we were planning to travel to France and stay around Lacanau, which I gather is near where Barrel boards are based.

I am hoping to take one of my own boards but want to check out the options if the airlines are too nutty.

Mike - if I had to use a freight co, it would probably be DHL. They have shipped a couple of boards from Hawaii for me. The costs and airline policies are pretty crap.

regards

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation does not seem so dire with Qantas, and probably the other airlines as well. Qantas allows free shipping of a bicycle if it is treated as one of your regular baggage allowance. Similar with the snowboard and surfski and I am sure your paipo is somewhere in-between. Research the Contract of Carriage for the airlines or their baggage rules, both available on-line. Print copies in case your check-in attendant needs help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation does not seem so dire with Qantas, and probably the other airlines as well. Qantas allows free shipping of a bicycle if it is treated as one of your regular baggage allowance. Similar with the snowboard and surfski and I am sure your paipo is somewhere in-between. Research the Contract of Carriage for the airlines or their baggage rules, both available on-line. Print copies in case your check-in attendant needs help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France Reply with quote

Rod,

Thanks. The problem may well be Swiss Air. I have looked through the QANTAS documentation and spoken to them - you get a number of individual interpretations that don't necessarily agree. It seems a bit discretionary on the day - which is a gamble I'd like to reduce the odds on. I plan to ring Swiss Air soon.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Paipo builder in Spain/Portugal/France Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Rod,

Thanks. The problem may well be Swiss Air. I have looked through the QANTAS documentation and spoken to them - you get a number of individual interpretations that don't necessarily agree. It seems a bit discretionary on the day - which is a gamble I'd like to reduce the odds on. I plan to ring Swiss Air soon.

Bob

What airlines do you have the option to fly - one or more?

Swiss Air might not be that bad:
Your fishing equipment is 120 cm long.
Small sports equipment up to a length of 150 cm, e.g. wakeboards and body boards, can be checked in without prior information. SWISS recommends suitable packaging.
Also see the chart at
http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: