rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

attaching a leash on a wooden boards

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: attaching a leash on a wooden boards Reply with quote

Hello,

I am interested in suggestions regarding how best to attach a leash to a wooden paipo board? Some places I surf can involve a nasty rock dance.

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy for the adhesive...although I decided against doing a leash , I had figured I would make a small 2 pc wood configuration and drill an appropriate sized hole in the upright area, then sand the deck of the paipo and epoxy onto the board, then repaint as necessary and/or recoat with polyurethane.

I feel dumb saying this, but...I would also be sure to put it on the nose/front of the paipo, as is done with bodyboards. A lot of kneeboards had leash cups in the back for use with legropes...I never got that really...thinking at this moment that came from slabs down under, but who knows...anyway with a paipo I at least slide side to side a bit along the tail, so...
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB; I have put in leash plug in some of my wood boards when the customer wants them(the customer is always right), How thick is the part of the board you want to put the leash? I have some leash plugs that are 5/8" tall ang 7/8" dia I have cut them down to less then 1/2" not to hard to put in only need a 7/8" hole saw and some 30 min epoxi. thay only cost me $1 IF you want one I will send you one fo free. MIKE Cool [img][/img]
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe like a fin box loop, except without the fin box. Drill a small hole all the way through the nose. A bigger hole half way through from the bottom. Pass the knotted loop up through the bottom, and cover the knot with epoxy, bondo, 3M marine caulk, etc.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: RE: attaching a leash on a wooden boards Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Mike, can you send a picture of one of your plugs so I can get a better idea of what they look like. I don't know the thickness yet, but will find out.

I'm inclining to Nels' approach, but want to research this some more.

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say that the boards I was considering leashing are way too thin for any kind of plug. The hole in board idea Poobah has is good and simple too, although a couple of bucks more expensive if you hvae to buy the materials. I would be concerned about the knot breaking out the hole though, although epoxy will spread the stress zone out...I was concerned my epoxied leash attachment itself would bust out it's location...

In the end I just hate being leashed to anything. My wood paipos tend not to travel far if I lose them. The thin ones would no doubt suffer fatal damage if they washed in onto a cobblestone point but then...a lot of the fun is in the making them, right? Like handboards...my wife asks me why I need to make more of them when I already have several...I don't have a good answer...
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB: I like the hole & cord way beter than my way. with thin boards less to brake out. my wife ask the same ? why do you have 10 boards you can only use one at a time, and I said why do you have all these shoes. Now I am going out to the workshop to make another one. I might have to sleep out there tonight. MIKE Cool
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Rembrandt's wife ever ask why he needed so many paintings? Of course you can only use the art excuse if you make your own boards, and they are artfully done.

The golf analogy can be useful. Everybody needs at least one sand wedge (Newport Special), one putter (handboard), eight irons (paipos) and three big woods (alaias). The words "at least" being very key here so you're not limited to 13 beach toys.

Another option is to arrange the boards on your lawn or at the beach on Sunday mornings. A different crop circle each week. Tell people you're sending a message back to the home planet. The need for a variety of boards will be obvious.
plypo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

I use this set up with my hollow boards. although prefer not to use a leash, customers often want one. I had to go for a wood solution to be in keeping with the rest of the board. The barrel is fixed to the bottom and the intersection between the stringer and a cross spar. Probably preferable to mount the leash plug before glassing.

Cheers
Andy
www.paipoglide.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: RE: attaching a leash on a wooden boards Reply with quote

Andy,

Thanks. Tom who is making my board tells me he is going with some form of attachment such as yours. Once I pick up the board I will send a photo, given the number of questions I have posed relative to this board.

As Mike & Poobah noted, before you know it you have can end up with a collection of paipo. One is certainly not enough. Art, addiction or aspiration.
Who knows.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: