rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The One

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: The One Reply with quote

I came across this in Tom Morey town...was looking into the Wave Skater after scanning a blurb in Surfer's Journal at a bookstore...realized we'd already been over it here or there...saw this...

http://www.tommorey.com/ONE!.htm

Extremely interesting to me, shades of ancient misty memories of the Newport Shoe and other shortboardmindexpansion dreams...
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The One Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
shades of ancient misty memories of the Newport Shoe and other shortboardmindexpansion dreams...

It won't be news to Rabbit Kekai either. He was a master at shaping and riding *short* skegless Hot Curls before WWII.
-
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It won't be news to Rabbit Kekai either. He was a master at shaping and riding *short* skegless Hot Curls before WWII

ah but with knowledge and materials from 50 years in the future...funny... but he would have known right what to do with them way back then if he could have gotten his hands on them...

my mother who surfed in Hawaii for a few years in the early 1930s knew of the foam boards but upon her one and only return to the islands in 1971 expressed a bit of mystification about why nobody had figured out something better than wax for traction on modern boards given that at that point men were walking on the moon...now 35 years later we still use wax for traction and the big "improvement" is some clay base in it...and no man has walked on the moon for over 3 decades.

Perhaps it all means something...
dksnap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time no post... Decided to resurrect this old thread, as I have been riding my 4'6" Tom Morey ONE board prone/paipo-style lately. Anyone else ride one of these?

I can't compare it to a traditional paipo, as I have not ridden one (yet), although I'm in the process of making one out of plywood. But that's for another thread... Very Happy

My only point of comparison is a bodyboard, and the ONE catches waves earlier and glides more due to the increased length and floatation. Less manueverability, but more down the line speed. The board is a little too floaty and doesn't duckdive well (at least for me, at 5'2") but in small clean waves, it's been fun and has a different feel than a bodyboard. It really piques my interest in exploring other prone / kneeriding vehicles.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try to get one of these while they are still available. An Area 51 soft top skimboard. This one is about 41" long and 1" thin. Dives easily, but still has enough surface area to fly. I originally got it for my wife, but it's often my board of choice in the Summer when I'm at a crowded spot. I think it was about $70 US.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Lamaroos/lodi01.jpg
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my skim to paipo I just finished 54"x21"x.80" my black bullet cost $95 MIKE 8[/img]
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Post: subject Reply with quote

Mike,

Besides adding fins, what else did you do to transfrom the skim board into a paipo?

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much just put on some tiki and a clear traction pad. I was going to cut it down, but tried it just the way it was worked good except the rear keeped sliding out, so I made some small fins out of S glass an epoxi and glassed them on. This is the cheepest board I ever made and works real good. MIKE Cool
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your portable shaping stand. Very Happy
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also iron your shorts on too MIKE Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: