rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oldskool bellyboarding

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: oldskool bellyboarding Reply with quote

I came across this picture of a grey bellyboarder somewhere in England walking confidently towards the breakers with a oldstyle bellyboard. And no fins as far as i can see.

Does anyone know how you get into waves like that in time without fins? Jon maybe?

greetings!

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd want to get into a wave like that, especially on a wooden plank... Shocked
bluey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: oldskool bellyboarding Reply with quote

eef wrote:
Does anyone know how you get into waves like that in time without fins?

i think the answer in respect to that wave is with great difficulty Laughing

this style belly board has been popular in UK since the 1920's at least and there still is a yearly comp now, you stroll out into the sea, make sure that you are shore side of the breaking waves, turn arround and when the white water is just about to hit you, push off the bottom and ride the broken wave into the beach.

the old bloke looks like he knows what he is doing, so he is taking the riding of these boards to the limit Exclamation

an early picture of the bellyboard in action (apologies for scan quality)

early UK booklet (1953 reprint of a 1934 book) on this style of surfing
eef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bluey,

thanks for the reply and the pictures! Looks like one of the purest forms of surfing i've seen!

Is there any video-footage on the internet that you know of? When is this yearly competition? Must be so much fun to attend.

greetings,

Eef

bluey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eef

Seen a bit of early bellyboard riding on TV (none on the internet), last time was earlier this year when there was a repeat of a documentary on the life of John Betjeman (a UK Poet Laureate in the 1970s) and it had home movie film of him bellyboarding in polzeath in Cornwall, must have been late 50's/early 60's, must be more out there.

There's a bit on the competition on this site, also info;

http://www.siba.co.uk/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=351

Perhaps some the the cornwall / devon regulars on this site my have even been in the comp.

I have a small collection of these board, a pic of some of them bellow,

never riden any of them, mainly because I am a landlocked at the moment so when do get chance to hit the water want to ride something that can go aross the wave Smile

cheers
bluey
plypo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 30+yr old Piran Surf bellyboard which I regularly use mainly on flat days just to get in. I don't ride it in the classic way as described by bluey - I paddle out back with the loggers which tends to get a few double takes. I can trim and bottom turn but I'm never going to bust any airs - its just a real challenge to see how far you can push a bit of plywood. I think 5-6ft probably the biggest I have been out on this board. The mellow wave picture that Eef found would be ideal.

I believe the Annual Bellyboarding contests are held in September at Chapel Porth which is between St Agnes and Perranporth(my home break). I'd really like to do it but they don't let you wear wetsuits or fins(I think) which is a shame because I would love to demonstrate the capabilities of this type of board.

Its all wood!
eef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Plypo!

thanks for the reply! I'm building a board at the moment that looks a bit like the old-style ones:

http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=435

can't wait to try how it goes, and maybe scare some logboarders here as well Very Happy

I love the simplicity of boards like these.

bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: oldskool bellyboarding Reply with quote

Bluey or Plypo,

I'd be interested to see a side view of the boards to illustrate their thickness and the curve (if any).

Bob
plypo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eef and Bob

Eef your board should work - is it marine ply or are you going to coat it. I believe mine is marine ply. they are great for duck diving. if you are using fins and going out back you will have to really push down just behind the nose when you go to take off - you'll have fun! Bob the belly board is about 3/10 inch (7mm) thick. there is nose rocker in new boards but over the years mine has flattened out - the mellow wave board still has some rocker - I will try and post some photos

Eef are you on myspace?
bluey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plypo, great to hear that you are taking the boards to their limit Cool , when I go down to Cornwall I always stay at St Agnes (tend to surf at aggy or Chapel Port), so hope to see you out on your board one day.

bgreen, no side view pics unfortunately (my boards are currently in storage at the moment), but from memory the more modern ply ones are quite thin (most less than 10mm), older solid wood ones quite a bit thicker (between 10 and 18mm).
bluey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plypo, great to hear that you are surfing the boards to their limit Cool , when I go down to Cornwall I always stay at St Agnes (tend to surf at aggy or Chapel Port), so hope to see you out on your board one day.

bgreen, no side view pics unfortunately (my boards are currently in storage at the moment), but from memory the more modern ply ones are quite thin (most less than 10mm), older solid wood ones quite a bit thicker (between 10 and 18mm).
eef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plypo wrote:
Hi Eef and Bob

Eef your board should work - is it marine ply or are you going to coat it. I believe mine is marine ply. they are great for duck diving. if you are using fins and going out back you will have to really push down just behind the nose when you go to take off - you'll have fun! Bob the belly board is about 3/10 inch (7mm) thick. there is nose rocker in new boards but over the years mine has flattened out - the mellow wave board still has some rocker - I will try and post some photos

Eef are you on myspace?

Hi Plypo,

it's normal ply so i'm coating it at the moment (the 4th layer this weekend). I'm not on myspace yet Sad Planning it fot ages but haven't done it yet.

There's good waves all week next week they say, so hopefully i can test the board then!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: