rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wooden paipo weight & wood selection

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: wooden paipo weight & wood selection Reply with quote

Hello,

I came across an old (probably 70 years or so) skirting board of what I think is Australian cedar under the house. For its length (about 10 feet x 5" x 1.5" thick) it is light - much lighter than a smaller pine floorboard also under the house. I was toying with whether I could make a workable paipo board from it.

My questions:

1. what would be a reasonable weight for a board about 5' x 1" thick?

2. If I wanted to add some balsa (partly because I am not sure whether the board would be light enough and I doubt I have enough wood) - would it be better to alternate the pieces of wood, put the harder wood on the rails or some other combination?

I could always throw the wood into the surf and see if it sinks but this this is not too convenient at present.

Any suggestions are welcomed,

Bob
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slice off a small piece and see if it floats in the kitchen sink.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: wooden paipo weight & wood selection Reply with quote

Jim,

Out of curiosity I tried slivers of 5 types of wood. The only failure, which floated for a little while was the hardwood chamferboard. If there is a major flood I now know that I can't count on the house floating.

The other wood that I took pieces from & that floated were:

1. an aged hardwood step tread
2. a new hardwood signpost
3. a pine floorboard
4. the piece of cedar skirting board

Bob
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to specific gravity numbers for some common woods:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

Disitilled water at 4°C is 1000kg/m³.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe glue a cork deck on top of the plank bellyboard. It could increase your bouyancy, and give you a softer surface for your elbows and chest.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: wooden paipo weight & wood selection Reply with quote

Jim,

The link to the specific gravity of wood was useful. After balsa, the next lightest woods are in the 300s which includes cedar.

Poobah,

I was thinking of oiling the board. I can't imagine this would work with cork. Would you seal cork with some synthetic finish like used on floor tiles?

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said maybe, because I haven't tried it myself. It's been on my list of things to do. Somewhere on the net, I once read that early paddleboards were made of solid cork scavenged from dock floats. I don't recall if they even bothered to seal them. Cork (bark) is a different structure than the woody part of the tree. Fluid can't flow (quickly) through the cork in a wine bottle, so I figure it would be fairly waterproof as a deck material. My only concern would be fungus and mold. If you use an oil finish meant for boat use, then it probably already contains a fungicide. I did a quick search on cork floor sealers, and saw one that was parrafin-oil based. I say stick with the products that are intended for exterior use. I think I'll give cork a try this weekend. It's been on my list long enough.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: wooden paipo weight & wood selection Reply with quote

Poobah,

Have you a board you intend to glue cork on the deck of, or are you starting from scratch? There is the also question of the best glue for such a job.

I look forward to hearing how it works out.

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: wooden paipo weight & wood selection Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Poobah,

Have you a board you intend to glue cork on the deck of, or are you starting from scratch? There is the also question of the best glue for such a job.
I look forward to hearing how it works out.
Bob

I want to do both. Right now the contact cement is curing on the first board. It took me a while to find a local supplier for the cork sheet. I think I'll start a new thread for cork boards. This here thread can return to the topic of wood selection, etc.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: