rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swim Fin poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Swim Fin poll Reply with quote

What are your favorite fins? Why?
Do you use different fins for various conditions?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of comfortable Churchill use, most recently Slashers, I got a good fit on a larger size of Duck Feet this past summer and they have become the fin of choice. The Slashers are still going to be part of the equation for small-wave bodysurfing...smaller blades much better for pushing off the bottom when standing is part of the deal...smaller blades are also nice for travel since I really am leery of checking fins with luggage after an unfortunate experience in an Australian/Fiji transition in the 70's.
eef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use some biiiiiiiiiiig scuba fins for paipo boarding. I like 'm for the nice cruise-speed i get from them, wich is nice when you have to swim around when using a non-float board.
The are great for getting into waves early too Very Happy

When bodysurfing in beach dumpers i use a pair of smaller fins, which make it easier to react quickly (and to push of the bottom like Nels mention above).

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
dksnap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use toobs bluntcuts. Been using them forever. The short, stiff blades work well for me for bodyboarding, espcially for dropknee (quicker get up and reduced drag). Right now, they are the only fins I own, besides my snorkling fins, so I use them in all surf conditions.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vipers Vipers Vipers
I have both the yellow dot V5s for kneeboarding and the V7s for paipos. My feet are pretty easygoing and I haven't had fit problems like so many people, but I think vipes are the perfect balance between too big to peddle and so small your Flintstoning it.

You know when Fred runs and there's that boppity noise and he doesn't go anywhere? Flintstoning. Very Happy
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer: For warm water I use Vipers Orange Dot 5" Flexi blades; in cold water it is Hydro Techs because of their wider and taller foot pockets (needed for 5mm to 7mm of rubber). The Vipers simply do not scale up in overall foot pocket dimensions.

The long answer: http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/flippers/flippers_and_fins.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNW waters require the grunt that UDTs can give over the long haul, but Flips have found favor at a few locales...
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use original techs (the ones that float) with fin socks and manta blades barefoot - both size XL - it is a fit and comfort issue mainly - I have a size 12, wide foot, high instep. My blades I bought in Oz over ten years ago - I just replaced them with a pair of manta clones and they are the same great fit, will be a nice summer fin without fin socks. I would probably use vipers if they fit my feet (they don't).
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a xmas pair of U.S. Divers Shredder Surf II:
http://tinyurl.com/3crxew

They're my "new" favorites. Comfy foot pocket, drains well, and the heel is adjustable to accomodate boots in cold water. Built in ankle strap is a bonus, and the wide profile let's you kick into high gear at any time. They worked well last month in 15' San Juan PR surf.

Still like the vipes yellow dot. And the stiff Churchills are good for warm water takeoffs on DelMarVa sucking hollow a-frames.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tech 2's were comfortable and drained sand very well. I didn't care about them non floating, because they fit me so well. Then I dropped and lost one in a foot of shallow/sandy water as I was walking in. Doh! Back to the Churchills and chopped-down snorkel fins.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Redleys that have never been really comfortable. They finally got so painful that I recently got some Viper yellow dots, and they were absolute torture devices... "iron maidens" for the feet. Funny thing is, since I put them away, the Redleys don't really feel too bad. Can't figure that one out.

Still looking for the perfect fins.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have some Redleys that have never been really comfortable. They finally got so painful that I recently got some Viper yellow dots, and they were absolute torture devices... "iron maidens" for the feet. Funny thing is, since I put them away, the Redleys don't really feel too bad. Can't figure that one out.

That's called "evolution"...your feet are "smart devices" and they don't want to feel pain. Wink

I would never buy fins that weren't comfortable right in the shop. No such tihng as brand loyalty when it comes to your feet! That said, I had unexpected success last summer when I went shopping for a "fin power upgrade". It took several trips but on one I found that by trying one size larger than my normal size I could get a comfortable fit in Duck Feet, which I hadn't been able to wear for years and had never really been all that comfortable with. I assume that my feet/ankles had changed in the years intervening. All I need to do to make them perfect is pad the ankle straps like I used to. got 'em on sale for $20 too...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumak wrote:
I have some Redleys that have never been really comfortable. They finally got so painful that I recently got some Viper yellow dots, and they were absolute torture devices... "iron maidens" for the feet. Funny thing is, since I put them away, the Redleys don't really feel too bad. Can't figure that one out.

There's many ways that the feet, ankles and legs can get tweaked, torqued and tortured by our flippers. Redleys have not treated me very well either, even the so-called "flexi blade" version. Vipers, however, come in three flavors: Yellow Dot 5" and 7" and Orange Dot 5". Yellow dots are stiff blade fins and orange dot are flexi blade fins. I swear by the Orange Dot for my warm water sessions; however, even the larger sizes don't work for me in cold water when 5mm to 7mm are added to my feet - the foot pocket simply does not scale up in width and height when increasing from L (9-11) to XL (11-13). In cold water the HydroTechs are the fin of choice, for me, because of the ample foot pocket and more forgiving blade (relative to others). The Tech2's didn't do anything for me (in terms of thrust and movement through the water), but are soft and felt great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid I always wore the soft green Churchill's and could not get duck feet to fit.
When Vipers came out I wore them fairly comfortably for several years but in the last few years my feet have grown about 2 sizes Shocked and the Vipers are no longer comfortable.
A while back I bought a pair of the Laguna (Neo)fins which are super comfy but really not all the great as far as power.
A friend of a friend just recently turned me on to a new pair of XL UDeeT's and they are really powerful and pretty comfy with just a lycra finsock. I may need to build up my legs a bit to realize their potential.
I think I may try to get a bigger pair to use with a real booty when the Prof. Deets says the next batch is done.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Grumpy wrote:
When I was a kid I always wore the soft green Churchill's and could not get duck feet to fit.
When Vipers came out I wore them fairly comfortably for several years but in the last few years my feet have grown about 2 sizes Shocked and the Vipers are no longer comfortable.
A while back I bought a pair of the Laguna (Neo)fins which are super comfy but really not all the great as far as power.
A friend of a friend just recently turned me on to a new pair of XL UDeeT's and they are really powerful and pretty comfy with just a lycra finsock. I may need to build up my legs a bit to realize their potential.
I think I may try to get a bigger pair to use with a real booty when the Prof. Deets says the next batch is done.

Some people have taken the UDeeTs and cut them down for a shorter, slightly differently shaped blade. The blade and ridges still retain a rather amazing memory and spring. I have not pared down my pair as of yet... but some day will give it a try.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: