rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tell me about paipo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Adams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Tell me about paipo Reply with quote

I am new to this and i need help
I have bee bodyboarding for about a 5 years now and im getting bored. I need something more exciting to ride waves with. I heard about paipos when i went to Hawaii. I was wondering what makes a paipo such a great wave riding board. I would also like to know how much one would be.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Traditional paipos are much less bouyant and much faster. I am inclined to say they are also less manueverable but maybe that's just me...but I think everybody would agree that they aren't about manueverability...it's about speed.

The really cool thing about them is that you can make your own for less money than just about anything you can imagine...a full size paipo can be made from Home Depot/DIY store plywood and related materials to seal it for under $20 US. You can paint them up or stain them or pretty much anything you want.

If you want to buy a traditional style paipo I think you are fairly limited to state of the art materials from Hawaii Paipo Designs, which are roughly $300. I would advise to make your own first to amke sure you are interested.

Now, the term "paipo" is also used to cover foam/fiberglass bellyboards, which are different. they are also different from bodyboards as they usually have fins...this really makes for a different experience.

Plenty of links and threads around this site.

Nels
Brian Adams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can u give me a link for building a paipo
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skimboards can paipo. Either ride it "as is" or modify it, like with a fishtail or wakeboard fins. You can get the wood skimmers cheap during the Winter. Heck...even during the Summer they can be pretty cheap. I bought a Skim Lizard last Summer. A wood skimboard with a full Eva foam deck for only $16. A little too much rocker, but otherwise good cheap fun.

How big are you Brian?
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree definitely speed. Also feeling closer to the wave because of the reduced buoyancy. Nothing duck-dives like a paipo, except maybe a duck. Maneuverability -don't have any problems. But I have ridden paipos more than bodyboards so ... I am not an authority on that. Paipos have lasted longer for me than a bodyboard - two or three times at least. I am partial to the Hawaiian Designs Paipos, but it is true they are not cheap if you are just at the curious level.
The second most fun thing you can do laying down. Very Happy
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I have a couple of fabulous paipos made for me by George Robinson and Tom Neilson back here in FL, as well as now having my own fleet of Wave Skaters, one unturned stone in my experience is the old-style plywood paipo. My idea is to sandwich together a couple sheets of marine plywood and then mow it down into sort of an ancient Hawaiian shape. El Primitivo.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: